Saturday, August 8, 2009

Grammy Camp

We have been getting together for the first week of August in Nashville for over 10 years now. It's sort of a last "hurrah" before school begins---hanging out by the pool, playing a zillion games and just having fun together. And did I mention the laughing? Well, more and more, the joke's on me!

When Steph was a teacher, and Mindy was home for the summer, we actually had a little more time together. Now we squeeze in whatever time we can. The Lapps family arrived last Friday night. I had the schedule posted on the refrigerator. The kids like to know what they can look forward to for the week. Mindy likes to have the meals posted too, but since she was only "breezing" in for 2 days, I didn't think that was necessary.

Saturday
Lonnie Young---for school shoes
The Dog---who would have thought that you could spend $60 at a hot dog place?
Tast-d-lit---new low-cal ice cream shop
Pool
Washer tournament---(we actually had to postpone this due to rain) played poker instead--- Texas Hold 'em---it's so cute---the kids each have their own poker money that they keep in the cabinet. There was a little controversy over the Lapps money because they were not clearly marked. Mitchell had won "big" a few weeks ago, so he claimed the bigger bag. That problem has been corrected!

Sunday
Pool
Park n' Shop
Scrabble
The Lapps' went to spend time with the "other" side of the family, so it was just Steph and girls at the pool. That gave me plenty of time to re-create the entire Italian dinner from last weekend. Jordan invited her boyfriend---I was impressed that he would come as he's very shy. When I mentioned it to her, she said that he'll do anything that she wants. I guess she's got it goin' on! Nathan definitely was raised right! He showed up with lemon squares- --that he made himself. They were very good---we all asked him for the recipe!

Monday
The Lapps family spent the morning at the pool and then went to lunch before dropping Greg at the airport. After dinner, we played "Bingo for Bucks". Then we taught the kids how to play Tripoly---which was the start of many games all week.

Tuesday
Kids shopping spree at the mall. I let the kids each get 2 outfits. I like to call it "speed shopping". The teenagers go off on their own and scout out what they would like to buy. In the meantime, Victoria and Elizabeth, Sandy and I hit their favorite stores. When we met up with the teens, we had them try on for our approval. A successful trip followed by lunch at Red Lobster and a couple hours at the pool. More games after dinner.

Wednesday
We picked Mindy up in the morning and had a pool day. She is working so much, that her permanent New Orleans tan was beginning to fade. After pool time, we rented "Hotel for Dogs"---cute movie, but watching anything with teenagers is a challenge. They make fun of everything! We went to the club for Mexican night. After Sandy put the little girls to bed, we watched "Obsessed" with Beyonce'---the movie was good, but it got pretty hokie at the end---which started the kids up again with their criticisms.

Thursday
Everybody was on their own today. I enjoyed my day at the bridge table. After dinner, Sandy picked Greg up at the airport. When he got back, we stayed up pretty late playing Liars Poker.

Friday
The day I was most looking forward to---our "big" girls shopping trip. I really enjoy having my 3 girls to myself (no kids). We started at the book store to pick up Jordan's high school text books. We had barely arrived when Steph got a call from Jordan---a female issue that required immediate doctor attention. Unfortunately, she had to leave. Mindy, Sandy and I continued on our own. Steph returned in time to pick us up to meet Butch for lunch. He took us to a really nice place downtown. I'm not even going to say how much lunch cost, but we thought it was pretty funny that he complained about the $3.25 ice teas---which we wouldn't have even ordered if we'd known that we were going to order a bottle of wine!

After lunch, we dropped Mindy at the airport, Butch at his office and Sandy and I took Steph back to the mall. New York & Co. is our favorite place---and they really have the sales. All of the girls did pretty well. I shopped Cold Water Creek. 

We got home at 5:30 and it was time for the evening activities to begin. Tonight is the scheduled kids camp out, late night swim and s'mores. Butch and Greg put up the tent. I handed Morgan a roll of toilet paper and a shovel and told her to ask Butch where she was supposed to dig the latrine. It cracked me up that he thought I was serious. Seriously!?! 

After swimming, we started the fire in the fire pit. After several failed attempts, I put my Camp Fire Girl skills to use. I didn't get the "honor camper of the year" award 3 years in a row without knowing how to build a "friggin" fire. Besides roasting s'mores, we roasted ourselves. Having a campfire in Nashville in August amidst 95+ degrees was really pretty stupid---not to mention that I had forgotten to turn off the grill the night before, so the patio was really heated up.

I think it was about 9:15 when the teens went to the tent. Butch wanted to take bets on how long they would last. We adults stayed out another 45 minutes or so. We weren't in the house 5 minutes when Jordan was the first to come in. She said that since her trip to the doctor, she had bathroom issues that would require her being close to the "john" during the night.  Within 5 minutes, Morgan and Mitchell came in. Mitchell said, "grammy, it's not because we're scared, there's nothing to do". They didn't even bring a deck of cards for the tent. Kids now-a-days are so used to their video games, iPods and phones that they don't know what to do without them.

Saturday
Butch and Greg played golf while we girls and kids had our final pool day. When the guys got home, we had the washer tournament. Each person put in a dollar. We chose teams by drawing out of a hat. Jordan's boyfriend was here again and as luck would have it, they luckily paired up. They did pretty well together. Sandy and Stephanie ended up being the winners with each winning $5.00.

We barbecued and started the "homemade ice cream fiasco". We haven't made homemade ice cream in probably 15 years. I followed the recipe in the book. As I was making the mixture, I noticed that there was no sugar in the recipe. Apparently, there was a "typo" and they left out the word "sweetened" in front of condensed milk. I added sugar, but it didn't work. We ended up with a soupy mess. I put it in the big freezer and the kids had some later. I threw it out this morning! 

We finished our week with another family game of Texas Hold 'Em. I was the big winner this time with Mitchell coming in second and Butch third. We each put in $3.00 in exchange for chips. My winning cut was $18.00. I love taking money from kids!!

Casualties of the week:
Handle fell off the back door.
After 15 years, Greg still doesn't understand "decorative" towels.
Steph should NEVER be assigned any cooking duties.
Mindy ruined her carpet by dropping her bronzer on it---thanks, Mindy---it's always expensive     having you home.
Mitchell broke a few eardrums wailing on his electric guitar to Inagadadavita.
The whole house was completely "trashed" as usual.
Elizabeth can't handle poker and Fanta Grape at the same time (picture to follow).




2 comments:

  1. Mom, we had the most fabulous time! And as always it went by way too fast! I really enjoyed the campfire with the s'mores and think that should be a new tradition. We could try it at Christmas when it's cold too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.