Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oh Crap!

You won't believe what happened to me this morning---or what I caused to happen to me this morning. You know I've been on this major, obsessive, cleaning mode. Well today, I woke up waaay too early and finally got out of bed at 4 a.m. I came upstairs to my office and decided to clean out my files. I'm working along, feeling really good about what I'm accomplishing---downloading more cd's to my computer---I'm up to 536 albums now---just really crankin' it!

Then I come across this font cd. I don't know if you know that I am also a font junkie. I have 898 fonts all neatly categorized in folders in my Font Book on my computer. This disk I found has 1000 fonts on it. I say to myself, "hmmm, if there's a thousand fonts on this disk and I only have 898 on my computer, I must not have downloaded them." You might think that I would ask myself the obvious question---"do I really need more than 898 fonts?" But, noooooo, I don't do that. Instead, I load the cd, open it and decide to "check" to see if I had gone through the fonts and just picked the ones I liked. Wellllll, I don't know what the heck I did, but the next thing I know I get a little message saying that 1000 fonts are being copied to my DESKTOP!!!! What the f? Oh My Gooodddd!!! (and you know I always say Oh My Gosh!). Suddenly, I have a thousand font icons all over my desktop. I'm totally going nuts. Another thing I'm majorly obsessive about is my computer desktop---I have about 6 things on it. I like it clean and clear---no documents or folders cluttering it up, not to mention covering my cute background picture of Butch and I.

Now I tell myself to take a deep breath and THINK---which is kind of hard to do when your heart is in palpitation mode. I calm myself---a very little---and decide to hit "command Z" for "un-do". Shucks, that didn't work. Now I have no choice but to click on each little bugger individually and drag them to the trash. Of course the easiest thing would be to "select all", but if I do that, then EVERYTHING goes. So, I proceeded to click on each one. Oh, My Gosh---I just had a brainstorm. I'll be right back....

Never mind---it isn't going to work. I thought I could just select all and then go back and "de-select" the folders and icons I want to keep. The reason I can't do it is because after I got rid of all the ones on the desktop, there is a humongous stack ON TOP of my hard drive icon. For those, I have no choice but to click on each one individually---or lose my entire hard drive.

I've worked on it for about 30 minutes before taking a break to write this, plus a minute or two for my brainstorm. Turns out, I guess it's going to be more like 5000 clicks required as each font has a number of types---bold, condensed, etc. Sheesh, this is going to take forever. So much for what I had planned for the rest of the day. Even if I tell myself to just do a little at a time, it hangs over my head. I have to stick to it until I get them all off.

You know what I say to that---FTS!!! Is there such a thing as being "too" organized?

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe this happened! What a total pain in the butt! I see a scrapbook page in the making..."minutes of my life that I'm never getting back"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're in a worse situation than when you were trying to program your old tv to the converter box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The converter box...another idea for the scrapbook page!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.