Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Coping with the Girls---Day 2

Today started off like most of the girl's days, I'm sure. I told them that I was going to wake them up at 6:30 so we could leave the house by 7 a.m. Since Jordan goes to an all girls school, she doesn't have to bother with make-up. Morgan isn't allowed to wear make-up in 8th grade. They wear uniforms, so choosing just the right outfit isn't an issue. Fifteen minutes to get up and ready is enough---so they assured me. I'm adamant about sitting down to breakfast together at 6:45. Did it with my own family and still do it every day with Butch. I don't always cook something, but we always eat breakfast together---just a nice way to start the day. I truly believe it sets the tone for the day.

My first mistake was letting them "sleep in" until 6:32. Actually, I was uploading photos to Walgreens and the time got away from me. I had already been up since 5, but had to choose quiet activities that early so as not to disturb the girls. Apparently, 2 minutes made all the difference in the world. Not only did we not have time for breakfast, I ended up "nagging" them to get moving. We all had Capri Suns and donuts in the car---wholesome, I know---at least the sugar high would get them going. We still made it out of the house by 7:01. I told them that tomorrow I'll be waking them up at 6:15. I'm making chocolate chip pancakes---by request. 

The afternoon "hook-up" went off without a hitch today. The girls asked to go to the club for dinner. I told them to get a good hour of homework under their belt and then we'd go. They left their phones in the car. We had a nice dinner and I heard all about Jordan's latest "squeeze"-- Ian. She met him in karate in the 4th grade. They just recently re-connected through Facebook. (I still don't really "get it" but I know it's the "in" thing with everyone under 50). Morgan is still with Cowden---it's been 8 months. She considers herself in a "long-term" relationship. Kids!

Amazing, after only 45 minutes at dinner, Jordan had 6 text messages and Morgan had 5. They didn't have a stroke without their phones and even found it kind of exciting to have all those messages waiting for them. Needless to say, the conversation came to an end. Okay by me. I'm ready for my jammies and some t.v. time.

Later...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice evening! Mine was crazy...guitar lessons, dinner out with friends, and football. We didn't get home until after 8:00 and then it was showers, snacks, stories and bed. Greg is out of town this week so it's just me and the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.