Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Things I get Myself Into!

Last weekend, I was feeling kind of sorry for Steph. You know, the single mom, working full time and running the girls all over tarnation. Then to top that off, she had to give up her Saturday to help a friend move---between meeting Butch to get a Christmas tree, Morgan's basketball game and Jordan's Winter Formal preparations. Since I was completely finished with all of my decorating, shopping and wrapping, I offered to help her on Sunday. I had a 7 a.m. hair appointment and went over straight from there---arriving about 9:30. She doesn't have much, so I knew it wouldn't take long. Seeing her meager holiday collection, I sent her to Walgreen's to get some garland for her stairs. 

While we worked, she told me about her Thanksgiving dinner she hosted with friends. Each person brought a part of the meal. She did the turkey. The whole thing turned out to be somewhat of a nightmare. The girl bringing the appetizers came an hour late. Another friend preparing the soup came straight from the grocery store and then began cooking rather than having done it ahead and just heating it up. And Steph's turkey was---well, how shall I put this---"white"!  She cooked it in the crock pot, so of course, it didn't brown. Admittedly, she is not a cook.

Here's the part where I open my big fat mouth. I said, "Well Steph, what you need to do is prepare the entire meal and just have your friends "pitch in" on the cost. I can give you an easy, yet impressive menu that even you can handle. In fact, I'll help you so that you can learn how to prepare it all." Did I really say that? Big mistake!

I finished doing what I could in the way of decorating, but of course, had visions of what could be.

I went home and raided my Christmas closet for ribbon, greenery, flowers and discarded decorations. I discovered a tub of nutcrackers that I didn't even remember still having. 

Then I put together her Easy Dinner Party Menu for 8:
Spinach Balls
Bourbon pecan pork tenderloin
Mashed sweet and white potatoes
Fruit casserole
Peas
Sister Shubert rolls
Fudge pie with peppermint ice cream

I even went so far as to send her the grocery list and recipes with the menu. 

She responded with "Mom, this all looks really good. How about you come over at 5:30 on Friday night---the party starts at 7." I'm like---"what the heck? I just assumed a WORKING WOMAN would plan a party on a Saturday night. I thought we'd get everything ready in the morning (everyone knows I only work in the morning!). What if I get an invitation for Friday night? Unlikely, but still...." So, I take a deep breath and agree. I did tell her that we needed to get together this weekend to make the spinach balls in advance and put them in the freezer.

Now, back to the Christmas decorating. I picked the girls up from school on Monday. When we got to their house, I spent about an hour finishing up the decorating. Steph was very grateful and excited when she got home. She called to thank me and I reminded her that this was not going to be an annual thing. I don't really like doing it and didn't want her to expect it.

My week progresses---full of fun---it's the holidays. On Friday afternoon, Steph calls me and tells me that her dinner party has now grown to 16! OhMyGosh!!! Now I'm freaking out. I leave for New York on Monday with Butch. I don't get home until Wednesday night where I go straight from the airport to Connie's annual ornament exchange. Steph will be there too. 

Thursday is my bridge club luncheon and party for which I do everything, centerpieces, table favors, and prizes. I've got that all ready to go, but the party takes up the whole day. That night is the school Christmas Mass and party and then it's Friday---day of the party. It's not even my party and I'm completely stressed about getting everything done. I told her that she'd have to take a half day off work and I can't get there until 4. 

I sent her an alternate menu that would be even easier and lend itself to a large group. She didn't want to change the menu---still having visions of a fancy "sit-down" meal. Soooo, when she came over today to make the spinach balls, my first words were, "you've just made this so much harder on yourself (and me---although I didn't say that part). I don't even do sit down dinners for 16!" At which time she chose to inform me that now we're up to 18!!! Double everything---including time! (Then I remembered---but didn't tell her---that I actually served this exact meal for a sit-down dinner for Mindy and 29 of her closest friends before her Winter Formal senior year---I had tables set up all over).

Anyway, I went over the entire menu with her. Discussed the timeline, cookware, serving utensils, bowls, dishes, napkins, centerpieces, glasses, candles, silverware, salt and pepper shakers---every aspect of the evening. Then she hauled it all home! Yep, that's right, she borrowed everything from here. I told her that there were a couple of rules if she borrowed my stuff. She can't just hit me with it when I drop the girls off and say, "oh mom, here's your stuff, take it home." She has to haul it all back. And when she does, she can't just dump it in the house---everything had to be put back and hauled where it belongs. I do have everything under the sun for entertaining.

I'm looking forward to my trip to New York tomorrow. It will be a nice break. I have my itinerary all planned out. After dropping my luggage at the hotel, I'm going shopping at Macy's. I just love that store---just feels like Christmas there. Butch will be working. Monday night, we're seeing "Avenue Q" off-Broadway. Monday is the "off" day for theater. I've already seen "Avenue Q" but Butch hasn't. It's "fab." 

On Tuesday, I'm going to the New York Botanical Garden Conservatory. I've never been there, but I'm dreaming that it will be gorgeous for Christmas. After, I'm going to window shop on 5th Avenue. I don't like to actually shop those stores as they are ridiculously expensive, but I love the window displays. I'm also going to Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. It's a gorgeous old church right on 5th. That night, we're seeing "God of Carnage"---2009 Tony winner---Best Play---starring Jimmy Smitts and Annie Potts. My favorite thing to do in New York is the theater---in fact, that's my main reason for going. I'm just not that much of a shopper anymore. Plus I love the excitement of the city. 

I always want to do something festive during the holidays, so this short trip will be fun. Then it's home and a dinner party that isn't even mine. The things I get myself into...me and my big fat mouth!



2 comments:

  1. Have a great time! I can't wait to hear all about it! Christmas in New York City...it doesn't get more christmas than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? Thanks, mom - you're the best!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.