Monday, January 11, 2010

It's My Birthday!!

I've had---almost---the best day! I received 29 phone calls, emails, voice mails and "in person" birthday greetings. The day started off great! Actually, it makes me feel kind of bad since I'm not so diligent about dates of my friends' and family's birthdays and yet they still think of me. Makes me feel so popular! Doesn't that sound like high school?

Actually, my birthday started last night. Butch had to leave for L.A. yesterday. When I went to put my pj's on, I found a box of Russell Stover's (my all time favorite chocolates) along with a nice note. It was such an unexpected surprise---especially since we've always been flexible over the years when it comes to celebrating and we'd decided to forego gifts awhile ago. I must say, the guy has his moments. I'm not sure I really deserved it as on Saturday I told him he needed to go somewhere because he was driving me nuts! It was too cold to really do his favorite pastime---geo-caching, so he decided to "annoy" me. About the time I decided to curl up in front of the fireplace with my book, he asked me to laminate something for him. I told him I'd do it after my nap and reading. A few minutes later, he said the printer was out of ink. About another 10 minutes later, he comes in and asks "okay, where is your laminator?" That's when I said, "I'll do it for you, but then you better go somewhere because you're driving me nuts!" He didn't go anywhere, but he didn't drive me nuts anymore either. I have to admit, I think he's nicer to me than I am to him. If he'd said something like that to me, I would have been crushed. I didn't say it really ugly, more jokingly, but still...not very nice of me.

On to my day. Elizabeth was the first to call. Sandy then told me Mitchell's good news. He won the Geography Bee at his school. He'll go on to the next level to try to qualify for the city competition. He was so happy to beat out the 4th grade brother of a friend of his who is a geography "savant"---they were the last two left. He wore his medal the whole day and the next. Looks like he's an athlete AND a scholar! Good for him.

Now back to me---after all, it is MY birthday! I had some friends coming over for a new club that I've started. I came up with the idea for A Year of Memories Workshop so that at the end of the year, those that made the commitment would have a completed album. I'll post a picture of our first topic and page later. After, being the birthday girl and all, I got to pick the lunch spot. We went to O'Charley's as I'm always wanting a good salad. I had them split it right away so I could have the other half for dinner. I got the Fiesta Grilled Chicken salad. Delish---at lunch, not so good at home. They didn't put the dressing on, so that wasn't the problem---I couldn't get the f*****g tv sound system to work. I like to watch tv while I'm eating---you know, multi-tasking. I spent a half hour trying to figure it out while gulping bites in between. I just couldn't miss The Bachelor which was coming on at 7. Finally, I had to give up and go in the bedroom. I turned on the fireplace, gathered all my junk (computer, drink, fruit, notebook, magazines and needlework---can't watch tv without multi-tasking) and turned on the tv. Then it dawned on me---channel 2 doesn't come in on the tv in the bedroom. Next I head to the rec room. I've spent the past 2 hours watching the show and freezing. Luckily Butch got me the "snuggie" for Christmas, so I'm toasty now. Considering I made so much fun of the "snuggie", I guess I have to eat those words. It works really well. Butch got it for me to use at the Titan's games. The color is right---bright blue---kind of makes me look like a giant Smurf. 

The lighting is bad up in the rec room (one too many lamps have been "done in" by the kids, so I didn't replace the last one). As a result, I couldn't do anything but play computer games while watching the show. Speaking of which---what a shocker tonight! I'll bet Rosaline's parents are proud. Actually, I feel sorry for them---to have 100 million people find out their daughter is a slut on national tv.

Now I'm listening to music and playing around on my computer. It's only 9:30. I'll just go to bed and read soon. You might know it, when I have a chance to have the tv to myself all night.

All in all, a pretty darn good day. So far, 58 hasn't been too bad---except for the darn electronics---which get me charged up!

5 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard about your tv issues!! Now you have no sound and at Christmas it was a crackling static sound. I'm glad you had a fun birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I got 29 birthday greetings last year! Maybe this year - the competition is on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add 2 more well wishes today!! I took Morgan to the orthodontist this morning and told her about the "numbers". She couldn't believe I kept track. I showed her my busy calendar and then asked her if she knew how to spell "popular"! Actually, it's just that I'm the planner and no one wants to be booted from "my" list!!

    No competition Jeanne. It stands to reason that I have 5 years more friends than you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholson's stereo comes in the morning to handle our sound system issues. Turns out that the problem is the wires I disconnected at Christmas. The guy told me over the phone that it sounded like 2 wires were touching---and he was right. We have tv tonight, but I want them to get everything straightened out so we can start screwing it up again. At least the sound should be good again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you checked your facebook? Because you have a bazillion happy birthdays on your wall. Better re-tally!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.