Monday, February 1, 2010

Butch Has a New Job Already!

Yes, it's true---and it didn't take long. He is now a "trapper". We have a mouse in the house. I'm freaking out about it. I was certain he brought it home in the boxes from his office. He says that he hadn't even brought the boxes in yet. He bought a "humane" trap and baited it with peanut butter. He said that he'll take it beyond the fence and release it. Seems to me that the mouse can still see the house from there. I told him that he should drive it around for awhile to get it really mixed up and then let it go. He just gave me one of those looks. I'm thinking that I might drive HIM nuts in retirement! Anyway, the mouse didn't take the bait last night. Now he thinks I was seeing things. I think he needs to get more traps.

Retirement Day 1:
I'm not counting the weekend as the first day of retirement as it seemed pretty normal. But on the other hand, I guess every day is a weekend from now on! Butch got up at 5:30 a.m. to work out---I guess it's going to take awhile for those old habits to die. Then---this is soooo sweet----he made my tea. Now you might think making tea is no big deal. But, I'm a purist about my tea---only loose for me, no bags. I was impressed that he knew exactly how to measure it. I could get used to this!

He had a difficult conversation with his assistant of 12 years. He was unable to reach her over the weekend, so had to call her early this morning. She broke down and just sobbed. She told Butch he was the best boss she'd ever had---she wants to leave---he told her to just give the new guy a chance and do what was best for her family. Considering he's not the most "touchy, feely" type of guy, I think he handled it pretty well.

We left for the dentist together---totally a coincidence that our appointments were on the same day---how's that for a "meant to be" moment?

After the dentist, we went to buy new cell phones and get ourselves on the same plan. We've been meaning to do it for months, but could never find the time. We both got the Lotus (mine's red, his is black)---I told him that he had to figure it all out. From there, we went to Kroger's to pick up my prescription and for him to use the Coinstar machine. We've figured out how to "beat the system". If you agree to get gift cards instead of cash, they don't charge the 10% fee---and it takes pennies too. One more job for Butch.

Then, we were going to look at new cars (for him---I'm not due for a new car until fall---he's really not due either---we trade our cars every 5 years, but he dislikes his Mercedes so much that he wants to get rid of it---and it hasn't even been a year---thank goodness it was used), but there was an accident some where on the highway and it was all backed up and at a complete standstill, so we just came home.

The phone rang off the hook most of the day as the news has spread. Already, people are wanting "to do something" with Butch.

I was supposed to teach a class tonight, but it was cancelled due to icy roads left from the weekend, so I made spaghetti for dinner. We shared a half bottle of wine (on a Monday---we usually only drink on weekends) and toasted to retirement. Last night, we went out to dinner on a Sunday NIGHT---I don't think we've ever done that---with work the next day---we just never did.

Butch helped with cleaning up after dinner---oh wait, that's nothing new---he ALWAYS helps with kitchen clean-up.

So far, I'd say retirement has been fun. Of course, I'm leaving town, so it's too soon to tell. At least it's starting off okay. Knowing that he's going to be home alone, I made a lot of food over the weekend. He has a meal of pork tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes and peas, vegetable soup and the leftover spaghetti from tonight. I don't think he'll starve.

He'll be pretty busy without me. He's made a huge list of things he needs to take care of. I added a few things to it too. It's nice to have another person to share the errands.

I will say, that I am already noticing a few things that have annoyed me slightly over the years. I didn't think it was worth complaining about, but now I can see that these little things are going to really get on my nerves on a daily basis. Like:
Not putting his dirty dishes in the dishwasher (he just puts them in the sink)
Using the kitchen chairs as a coat rack (every one---what, does he forget that he already has a coat out?)
Leaving crap all around the kitchen (and the bathroom---which he's always done, and now some in the family room too. Seems like the more he's home, the more his crap grows.

I'm realizing that I allowed him to develop some bad habits over the years--and he's really a pretty neat guy---just some things. I hope it's not too late to teach that old dog a few new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.