Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Think we Might be Jet Setters?

I guess you could say we are---moving from one trip to the next. Two weekends ago, it was St. Louis, then on to Indiana (okay, you would hardly consider Indiana as part of the jet-set club), and now we're in Beaver Creek, Colorado for our annual ski trip with Bruce and Karolyn. I haven't skied in several years, but hold out hope that I can do it again some day---I just loved it and wasn't half bad---I've always been pretty athletic, so took to it right away. I'm just not willing to risk injury at this "size", plus I don't have any ski clothes that would fit. I'm pretty sure that if I fell, I wouldn't be able to get up! So, for now, I'll settle for my books, magazines, computer, knitting and "work"---fun though it is.
This is the view from the deck. You can see there wasn't much snow. I was pretty disappointed because everything was brown---and that's my least favorite color after UT orange. Yesterday, it was so warm that I spent 2 hours sitting out there reading.
Luckily, we got about 3 inches of new snow the first night here---enough to make it look like beautiful Colorado. The first day of skiing was pretty rough because they got about 18 inches on top of the mountain. Not everything was groomed and due to bad signage, the "modified ski club" found themselves in trouble. They wound up on a double black diamond with no foreseeable way down. Karolyn had to be brought down by the ski patrol. With their advice, the guys were able to trudge UP and across to reach a blue and ski down, but it did their legs and knees in. They were done after that---and really sore the next day. (I need to mention here that when talking about New Year's resolutions at the first of the year, I made the comment that Butch had set himself up for failure. Well, I need to eat my words. He has worked out faithfully to run his first 5K which he ended up passing on due to pouring down rain last Saturday. Anyway, the point being---the guy is in great shape---and looks it). Still the uphill climb was a bitch.

Yesterday was much better---gorgeous weather---and long runs---8 before lunch and 5 after. There is supposed to be a way to check the internet to see how many miles you skied. I hope they figure it out.
A couple shots of this very nice, FREE place that we were fortunate enough to get. It is owned by a co-worker of Bruce's who generously agreed to let us have it for the week. They live in Denver and come out for the weekend---about a 2 hour drive.
I brought along a mountain of work---and a "To Do List" 3 pages long. Things like: clean up computer files, sort through bookmarks, make family group sheets for the reunion, re-send the flyer, develop 6 new classes (I just have so many ideas---then become obsessive to get it all down), put together a tutorial for the Gypsy---even if it's only for myself---I compulsively have to write everything down, lest I forget a single detail. It's kind of hard to be in my brain---going a mile a minute. I'm still running on "speed dial" so have accomplished quite a lot---not all of it, but a lot. I definitely have ADD and flit from one thing to the next constantly---then back again because I think of something else. Still pretty much fun. The screen above shows some of the things I've been working on. Pages and pages---I'll have to count how many I've typed. Part of my OCD is counting stuff and wanting to know the "numbers."
And then this book---OMG---I've never read anything by this author, but it is one of the BEST books I've read in a long, long time---even surpassing some recent good ones. I'll finish it today and hope I'm not disappointed by the ending. About love, loss, redemption and triumph---I do love a book that makes me cry all through---that you have to put down---even though you don't want to---but is so gut wrenching and moving that you just can't take another second---but then you can't wait to pick it up again. This is one like that.

Now back to our jet-setting---we get home tomorrow afternoon---have a jam-packed weekend starting with poker tomorrow night. Then it's off to Vegas on Monday with my "sibs"! I have something fun in store for them---that I'll report about later---not counting Criss Angel and Cirque de Soleil and Donnie and Marie. I'm sure I'll have some new family observations too. Janice has vowed to wear her bowling shirt so we can spot her on the street and Jeanne will wear her matador outfit too. At least I hope so---they are so much fun to make fun of!!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm currently reading the same book. I definitely plan to read some of the author's other books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.