Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Has Sprung!

Coming soon to a garden near you...
 I just love walking through the garden in the spring. You just never know what is going to be in bloom.
Even the weeds look good in the garden! You know what they say, weeds are simply wildflowers that have been misplaced. 

I can't remember the names of these.

Creeping Phlox

I just love the color and texture combination here.

You can't tell by this picture, but these are miniature jonquils. You can see how tiny they are in the  arrangement at the bottom.

Vinca---periwinkle.

Hellebores---Lenten Rose

Heuchera---Coral Bells

Chartreuse is one of my favorite colors in the garden---especially in hostas.

Even the fish have come out of their winter slumber.

This is one of the front flower beds. Sadly, the squirrels got all the bulbs on the other side. I'm giving up with them---too expensive to only have half come up---besides the fact that it looks funny and out of balance.

Grape Hyacinth.

I've got lots of baby ostrich ferns---my favorites. Now's the time to get them. If you want some, come and get 'em. Once they get about 10" tall, it's too late. They are fast growing, drought tolerant, disease resistant and can take the sun. They are especially great if you have a large area you would like to cover. They love to roam and though they can be invasive, they are easy to pull out.
Pulmonaria---lungwort (just trying to remember all the latin names---unfortunately, I've forgotten more than I remember).

Epimedium---Bishop's Hat---these flowers are about the  size of a kernel of corn---can you see the tiny little 4 cornered hats---hence the name.


Not such a great shot of the Bishop's Hat, but I really liked the contrast against the magnolia tree and sky.

Dicentra---bleeding hearts.

These are my favorites---white bleeding hearts.
Mostly weeds, but still darn cute.

So what's blooming in your garden? 

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment yesterday but it didn't work.
    I just noticed a couple of pink hyacinths in my garden the other day so I went out after work & cleaned the old, dead stuff out. There's some grape hyacinth coming up, too. As usual, your garden is a few weeks ahead of mine. It's encouraging though knowing spring is here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.