Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!!

I had a great week, but have felt disconnected. I have to admit, I'm addicted to the internet. I usually don't worry about it because at the very least, I have phone access to my emails. That's the way I communicate these days, so when I can't get my emails, I get a little panicky. I had a great time scrapbooking at the farm, but was completely disconnected all week. 

The weather was perfect for scrapbooking---cool and rainy. Luckily, there were a couple days to be lazy on the porch with my book. I love that---no responsibilities or commitments---just anything I want to do---scrapbook, read, stitch, listen to music, eat and drink---heavenly. I waste a lot of time trying to decide what to do---so many fun choices!

It wasn't until I got home that I realized the reason for my "disconnect." I had left my mail program open on my desktop which is my main computer. When that happens, all of my emails funnel into there first. I'll just have to remember to make sure that I close that before I leave town the next time. 
As I was getting ready to leave on Monday, I caught Margarita cleaning out the coffee maker. That's just one more of those little things that she stays on top of. Gotta' love that. I'm sure she didn't understand why I was taking a picture of her. Still, she said, "thank you." I definitely get my money's worth with this gal. She doesn't understand---"go home early."
Upon my return Friday morning, as soon as I unloaded my car, I walked through the garden to see what was happening. My fringe tree was in full bloom. It's a slow grower, but so pretty in spring. Whenever I plant a tree, I like to get something unusual. I put this one in about 6 or 8 years ago along with a Benjamin Franklin and Yellow Wood both of which bit the dust.
Lily of the Valley in bloom.


View looking from inside the shade garden. 

I got home to a few problems. For whatever reason, I cannot access the internet with my laptop. I have an 8 a.m. appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store. They'll fix me up.
Then there was this---another of my unusual trees bit the dust in the storm. Butch had called me to find out who to call, so at least I was prepared. Luckily, I have a great arborist that I've been using for years. Aaron will always bump me to the top of his list. That's the beauty of forming relationships with your workers. They take care of you! Anyway, this is a Linden that was 30 feet tall. It hid our sprinkler system works. Aaron sent his crew the very day this happened to at least clear the driveway. They came back on Friday to remove the rest. I'm waiting for his suggestion as to what to replace it with. It will have to be big right off, so that's an unexpected expense. When it rains, it pours....
I decided to take a picture to remind myself of why we have to replace all of the columns, upper porch and deck. One of the guys giving me a bid said, "well, Ms. Eads, this is just plain neglect." I don't think he meant it as an insult---like maybe we just bought the house. But it's the truth. We're to the point, that everything has to be painted every year. I didn't do it last year and now have rotted wood everywhere.

My plan for Friday was to get my office back in order after the painters. I ended up wasting the whole day. I was so overwhelmed, I didn't know where to start.
This is all I have to show for Friday---a tiny bit of normalcy amidst the chaos of my house. It wasn't until I posted this photo that I realize there's something wrong with this picture. I'll have to do something with that cord. I guess I didn't notice it before because it blended in with the paint color on the wall. Now that the bead board is up, it really sticks out.

By Saturday, I was back to my normal "get it done" self. Jeanne said I'd have everything done by Sunday night---but I had it all done by Saturday night! I started in my office at 5 a.m. I waited until 6 to start hammering. I figured Butch would be up by then. I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff and that feels good.

I worked solidly from 5 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.---breaking for lunch. Stephanie, Mindy and a friend where at the pool. The plan was that they were going to pick up food and we'd watch a movie and stitch---starting at 6 p.m. I'm very goal oriented. Give me a deadline. That works for me.

I got everything cleaned up in the library so that my new bookcase can be installed sometime this week or next. I moved all of my cookbooks from my kitchen cabinet in there too. I had to clean out all of my cabinets over the desk (4 of them) to make way for my new glass front doors. I wrapped up a slew of glasses to give to Margarita and re-organized my patio glasses, candles, etc.

I have a few more mirrors to hang, so I got those washed up. I started sorting in the sun room. I haven't sold the furniture yet and the new stuff is being delivered on Friday. I'm going to put the old stuff on the front porch. That should make it look real southern---wicker on the front porch. I made a path to the ferns that are ready for Butch to move out front too---too heavy for me. I got the family room together---but I didn't put the new rug down yet. I'm waiting for the granite, sink and faucet to be installed in the bar on Tuesday and the drapes re-hung. I want the room to look all new at the same time.

And as I say, one thing leads to another---now I'm replacing the bedroom carpet. I was just going to patch an area where the stain from a plant stand has messed up the carpet. It was Butch's idea to replace it, so I'm going with it. I'm so surprised he isn't "wigging" out about all of it. I know he's seeing dollar signs. Luckily, he really doesn't want to know. He did mention that he overheard the faux painter mention something about clouds and birds. He wanted to know what that was all about. I told him to just wait and see.

Mindy arrived with the food at 5:30---a half hour early, which is why I had to quit. I took a quick shower. We spent the rest of the evening on the patio---talking. We lit a fire about 8 p.m. Steph had to drive Mindy home about 10. We'll pick her up for Mass this morning, have brunch, then she leaves for the airport. She's traveling for the next 2 weeks. So far, she still doesn't mind.

This afternoon, I plan to get ready for 2 classes I have this week. I'll hit the ground running tomorrow. I have something every day and night---really busy---in between, meeting with work men. Plus, I need to make a decision about the outside work. I'm going to consult with Butch on that as I don't want to be totally responsible for something this big. It's all getting there....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.