Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Trinkets

I'm feeling a little nostalgic for Italy. I can't believe it's almost been two years since we were there. I loved Venice and said that I would like to  visit every piazza and have a bottle of wine at each---well, at least share it with someone. To actually do it would be quite a task as there are about 125 of them. I just loved getting the feel of how the people live there. Each piazza has its own charm---a few little shops, Church, cafes, statues and well.

While visiting one of them, we witnessed the police chasing one of those people selling illegal goods. We saw some kids riding bikes and playing soccer. Just fun to blend in with the natives.

While talking to Jeanne and my cousin, Judy, who have also been to Italy, we got on the subject of what we brought home in the way of souvenirs. I was describing the cherry basket below, but they didn't know what I was talking about.

This is Murano Glass that is only made in Venice on Murano Island. We had a private tour there which was really fun. I usually only allow myself one "splurge" item when traveling, but this time, I just couldn't resist. This fancy couple stands about 10 inches tall.

I loved the detail of this porcelain piece---Compodimente----I don't know if that stands for the style, the designer or what. I realize now that I should have put something else in the picture so you could get the scale of it. It's about 4 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

The reason I'm thinking about Italy? My niece, Jackie and Greg are going around Memorial Day. Then   Mindy's friends, Lauren and Chris (also our family friends) are going in June. I'm thinking, "what the heck---it took us 38 years to get there and these young people can do it while they are young!" Maybe if we'd gone when we were young, my goal to visit all those piazzas could have been attainable. But then we could never have afforded it back then.

1 comment:

  1. Barb when I win the lottery we'll take Jeanne and Linda and then we can hit all 125 Piazza's. I will never forget Venice and by the way have you seen " The Tourist" and "Under the Tuscan Sun" they both bring back so many memories. I love your souvenirs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.