Monday, May 30, 2011

The End of the Decorating



Here are the last of the decorating photos. This one shows the other tablecloth from my grandma Zimmermann. It goes perfectly in my green and blue kitchen. I just love this one. Happy thoughts of my grandma---such a good cook---great food---icy soda's from her "real" soda cooler like the stores had back then---reach down into the icy water and pick one---frozen Heath bars---every kind of flower---4 o'clocks---planting portulaca/rose moss on her terrace---praying the Angelus at noon---praying the rosary at 3 p.m.---her "stories (code for soap operas)---the "reading" room full of National Enquirer and True Confessions and True Romance---holy water fonts in each room---and last but not least, that awesome glider on the front porch covered with a chenille bedspread---I can even remember the smell. So sad it's all gone now. The house was torn down years ago. 

 I wanted to put glass fronts on all of my cabinets, but this is the only one that it would really work without looking awkward.
What better way to house my new wine glass collection?


And last, the new "old" table I got at an antique store for the sun room.

And there you have it. When you put it all together, it doesn't seem like that much to have taken 11 weeks! The very last thing is the window treatments for my office. They should be ready in the next week or so. Then, the outside renovation work will begin---and more painting...oh yeah, now the trash compactor and dishwasher are acting up. When will it end?

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne said there is a problem with posting comments on my blog, so I thought I would give it a try. So far, it seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the comment that Jeanne couldn't post---with my answer below:
    If you’re not getting any comments on your blog it’s because something is screwed up like I told you last week. Anyway, I wanted to ask about the furniture in your sunroom. You replaced the wicker with more wicker? Also, I like the color of your bedroom – seems like you’re on a blue & green kick now? And the rug story made me laugh when the cicada landed on you and you screamed – I still chuckle thinking about it. Lucky for you – power washing isn’t all that fun. I power washed the patio under the deck after we had the deck treated and it took forever. Now we’ve been working on the garden under there because we have a rain run-off problem so the patio is filthy and I’ll have to wash it again! By the way, how did the rug come out?

    My response:
    I just posted a comment on my own blog and didn't have a problem. I have no idea why you can't. Are you logging in?

    Yes, I replaced the wicker with more wicker for two reasons:
    1. The "old" wicker wasn't all that comfortable.
    2. It costs more to recover the cushions than to replace it---well, almost.

    Plus, the "new" wicker looks antique.This time I stayed with something neutral so I can change colors anytime without the expense of reupholstering.

    Over the course of 40 years, it seems like I've used the same colors---they just circle back around. I started with green and gold in the 70's, red and yellow in the 70's and early 80's, blue and mauve in the 80's and 90's with a green and pink kitchen---then teal, dk. green, red and gold---now blue, green, yellow with the same khaki in the family room that I've had for 16 years---although it's been painted 3 times---I just love that color. My hallways and entry have been the same color (beige) for 16 years too---only painted twice.

    The rug came out pretty good. At least it should be okay for another year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.