Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemaker of the Year

Remember last year when I spent $125 on canning products? Well, it's that time of year again to try to justify that purchase. I decided that since I had such a prolific crop of basil, I'd make some pesto. I wish I had taken a picture of the basil in my "gro boxes" so you could see how much I had.
 Anyway, here's a sink full. I actually had 2 sink fulls. It took me 2 hours to wash each leaf. I had bugs, teeny tiny 1/4" green grasshoppers and other types all over the kitchen. I had to be diligent with that washing.
 Thank goodness for my salad spinner. It would have taken me forever and a couple rolls of paper towels to dry all those leaves.
 When it was all said and done, I got only 3 cups. Pretty unbelievable that it condensed to this.
After all this work---only 3 cups. I envisioned giving it away to family and friends---so proud of myself. What a letdown. I sure hope it tastes good---pine nuts, olive oil, salt and garlic. I'll add parmesan after cooking. Does this make me "Homemaker of theYear?"

So here's the deal. If you take into account the cost of the supplies, plants, water, fertilizer, and the time it took me to make it, I'd say these little guys are worth about $49.95 each. They say you are supposed to get satisfaction out of doing these kinds of things yourself. The heck with that. I'd rather have been scrapbooking. I guess it just depends on how you want to spend your time. I did all this kind of stuff in the 1970's. I stopped for a reason. It's really not a lot of fun, just all work. And to think, that I don't even know yet if the stuff is any good. Either which way, I can buy really great tasting stuff at the grocery for pennies in comparison. I think I'll do that from now on.

On another note, the battle with the wildlife in our backyard continues. I also have planted a few tomato plants. I love fresh tomatoes. In fact, my grandpa Preli would always save me his "biggest" tomato of the season. He expected me to eat it on the spot. I was only too happy to oblige, but sometimes those tomatoes were the size of small cantaloupes---too much to eat at one sitting. I don't have that problem growing my own. They never get that big---and even if it seems like I'll have a few the size of tennis balls, the squirrels beat me to them---leaving behind big gaping holes.

This year, I have a different problem. I noticed that one of the tomato plants, although huge, has no tomatoes. When I remarked to Butch about it, he said that he saw the rabbits eating the flowers off of it. What the heck? (Did I mention in a previous post how the squirrels have chewed up our pool "noodles" too). I give up. The animals win. But their free smorgasbord ends this year. I'm not planting anything next year. That'll teach them. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.