Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You on September 11, 2001?

It's a date you'll never forget---or what you were doing when you heard the news. Like when President Kennedy was shot (I was in the 5th grade---we spent the rest of the day praying), or when the astronauts walked on the moon (I was at Reenie's house watching it on tv) and who could forget when Elvis, Marilyn and John Lennon died?

On 9/11, I was talking on the phone with Sandy. She was in a hotel room in State College, PA. Victoria was just 2 1/2 months old. As we were talking, she had the tv on and told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. We continued our conversation just thinking it was a terrible accident. When the second plane hit, we got off the phone and I turned on the television. I was glued to it for the rest of the day---and crying. It was just too unbelievable and sad.

The following day, I spent all day standing in line to give blood at the Red Cross. It literally took me 6 hours, but I couldn't think of anything more important right at that moment. Now 10 years later, it still seems unbelievable. I can't imagine what all those people---living and dead---went through. I hope we never have to go through anything like this again.

Where were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.