Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Few More Things

 Is it just me, or is it just plain wrong that the flip side of a Chinese fortune cookie is no longer Chinese but, Spanish??? I guess if they replace the English side, we're sunk.
 Completed!!! Finally after about 18 months of collecting vintage mirrors, the wall is finished! Or do I need just a couple more over the door to the library on the far right?
 Poker was at our house last Friday night. I always try to get this pie from Sam's at least once during the Fall. It is fabulous, huge and cheap---$9.99---and can easily serve 16---it's about 12" across. I hope your Sam's carries it. I've found out recently that they don't all have the same stuff.

BBQ Beer Chicken was a new recipe that I tried. It was a big success. Some of the guys topped it with the cole slaw right on the sandwich. Here's the recipe:


Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken 
serves about 8-10 


3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 large) 
1 tablespoon onion powder 
1 tablespoon smoked paprika 
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
12 ounces of beer (I used a classic amber) 
32 ounces of barbecue sauce 
Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add to crockpot, then add beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours, tossing once or twice if desired. After 8 hours, shred and add remaining barbecue sauce. When I pulled the chicken out to shred, I dumped out 3/4ths of the liquid so it would be all floating in juice. Can be frozen.


And lastly---the Comcast update:
I received another bill---3rd month in a row and they are still getting it wrong. They are charging us for 2 boxes (we only have one), some other $3.95 fee associated with that and, now, I'm being assessed $6.00 "late" fees for taking what I DON'T owe off the bill. I've already called each month (twice) before.


I hunkered down for the call yesterday, allowing myself an hour to try, once more, to get this "fixed." When I got through the series of menu options, the "foreign" guy finally answers and says, "how are you today." To which I respond---in an already "ugly" voice---"not too good." I then say, "look, you are not going to be able to help me. I want to speak to a supervisor or someone with authority." 
He: "Mam, I'm sure I can help you."
Me: "Well, I've called twice before and was told it would be resolved and I would receive a call back within 5 days. That didn't happen either time. I agreed to the customer satisfaction survey to take place within 30 minutes of my call---neither of those happened either. So what makes me think you can help me?"
He: "I'm sure I can."
Me: "Okay"---I then launch in to the whole story. He actually did something. I was shocked. 
He: "I see the problem, you returned a dvr box, but they recorded it as a modem. Let me get that fixed for you."
Me: (now I'm starting to get all warm and fuzzy) "Finally, someone that knows what they are doing."
He: "Yes, well, I've been here 3 months."
Me: (thinking---"I guess that you only need 3 months to become an expert. Makes me wonder who the heck they are hiring.)"
He: "Wow, I see you are paying $270 a month for digital cable, dvr, phone service, and internet. I'm going to credit you the $15.95 for the past 3 months, credit the $3.95 and remove the late fees. Plus, I'm going to give you the current promotional rate for the next 6 months at $159.99. AND!!!! If you pay your bill on time for the next 3 months, I'm sending you a $200 Visa gift card."
Me: "Heck ya!!! You are my new best friend." Now I'm all over the guy---about how he's just made my day and I was ready to quit them, he saved it, blah, blah, blah. "Can you have a new bill sent to me to reflect the changes and what I actually owe?"
He: "Already done. You will receive the revised bill within 3-5 days. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
Me: "Not unless you'd like to come over and carry my groceries in the house! Thanks so much for ALL of your help."


Okay, I know what you are thinking---this is too darn good to be true. I totally agree. We'll see. Darn, I forgot to get his name, but I'm pretty sure it was "Peggy!" (Do y'all get that joke? Or is it just a cable commercial that runs here? You call your cable company and get India, a guy on a bike who says his name is Peggy). Stay tuned.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.