Sunday, November 13, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---What Kind of Fool Am I?

It started with this "boy." Jim Stegge was one of Ronnie's friends---although that made him my friend too---as we all ran in the same crowd. Anyway, Jim was a good dancer. He and I spent a lot of time coming up with dance routines to "perform" at "teen town." Yeah, we were one of those couples people circled around to watch. He could do the splits and other nifty moves---but he did split a few pairs of pants.
During the summer between 9th and 10th grade, Ronnie and Jim took me to a party to meet the boy below---Les Horstkoetter. When we got there, most of the "boys" including Les were late due to their ball game. By the time they went home, showered and arrived at the party, it was completely dark. It was a basement party with no lights. I met Les, but never actually laid eyes on him. Turns out it was a "necking" party. I can remember pursing my lips tightly together and praying that the night would be over. I was pretty inexperienced in the "boy" department. I "went with" Roger Schultz my freshman year, and even though we grew up together, we had never kissed. We only had just started holding hands about a week before the "big break-up." 

Anyway, when Ronnie and I got home, I started to cry to mom about what had happened. She started hitting Ronnie and yelling at him about taking his sister to a party like that. Looking back, it was pretty funny because he was my "younger" brother! Big lady killer that he was...

I didn't hit it off with Les then---met one of the other guys---ironically named Bob Anderson. Another guy of the same name would be a good friend 20 years down the road. I "went with" Bob for about 6 months before I started dating Les. I honed my kissing skills then.

Now here's the thing. Jim told me that Les, was part of the band "Every Mother's Son" who was a "one hit wonder" in the 60's. They had just one song---"Come on Down to My Boat Baby." Jim told me to never mention the band because his mom made him quit and he was really upset about it. So, I never mentioned it. I dated him about 6 months too. That was about my limit---new guy every 6 months or so.

He took me to his junior prom---my first. Back then, you got one dress and wore it to every prom you went to. I went to three. You can't see the butterflies in my hair, but I thought I was somethin'! 

I never did ask Les, if he was in that band. I'm pretty sure I was played for a fool on that one. He did have a guitar and drums, maybe, just maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.