Thursday, December 8, 2011

Confession is Good for the Soul!

Last night, we celebrated Mindy's birthday. She had already requested her birthday dinner two weeks ago. So imagine my surprise yesterday morning at Curves when she said, "mom, tell me what we're having for dinner." Right off it reminded me of when she was little. When tucking her in bed at night AND waking her up in the morning, she wanted to know about her meals for the day---each one---breakfast, lunch and dinner. The girl has always been about FOOD!

Anyway, when she asked what was for her birthday dinner, I said, "Mindy, what do you mean what's for dinner? You told me what you wanted two weeks ago." To which she said, "I know, I just want to hear you tell me so I can look forward to it all day." Soooo, I told her---meatloaf, twice baked potatoes, peas, corn, crescent rolls and homemade fruit salad instead of a cake. That stared her day with a smile.

We planned to eat early---5:30---so that those of us that wanted to, could go to the Penance Service at Church. Turns out Stephanie and I were the only ones that "wanted" to go. We had to wait quite a while as at first there was only one priest. When it was my turn, I went in the confessional, knelt down (ouch, hard kneeler and a lot of weight on these knees. I wasn't sure I could stand it, but decided to "offer it up"---what the nuns used to say whenever you were faced with adversity). When it was my turn and the priest slid open the little window, I started right off, "Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 5 or 7 years since my last confession." From there, I launched in to my sins. Lastly I said, "I've missed Mass due to laziness." The priest said, "not boredom?" To which I said, "no, laziness." He said again, "not boredom?" Again I said, "no, not boredom, laziness." I thought that was pretty interesting. I got to thinking---maybe if you miss Mass due to boredom, it's not really a sin. I might try that the next time.

After a brief discussion about my prayer life, I asked  him to "bless" my new Rosary, he gave me my penance. Now it was time to say the "Act of Contrition." I recited the entire thing---exactly correct. Afterwards, he said, "hmm and you say it's been 7 years?" I guess I impressed him. I said, "Growing up Catholic and Baltimore Catechism." He chuckled and released me. What I should have said was, I say the Act of Confession every night before bed. You're supposed to do that so if you die during your sleep you'll go straight to Heaven. I figure, I'm not taking any chances.

Afterwards, on the drive home, Steph said that "confession" was her favorite part of being Catholic. She said that when she was in high school, she went every week. Her friends always teased her. She said that she couldn't understand why they wouldn't take advantage of the best benefit of Caholicism. Most people hate that part of our faith. I never really thought about it---it's just something you're supposed to do---at least annually. But Steph has a point. You really feel good after. And you feel like you are definitely "saved" for another day. Confession truly is good for the soul. Or at least until you have to pull out the "FTS" for some major aggravation!

1 comment:

  1. It does feel good to things off your chest sometimes. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.