Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Minor Setback and the Craziness Begins!

I had a minor setback with my hives---and you won't believe what caused it. I've been on the prednisone for 12 years, December 1st. I was finally back down to 20MG but had to go back up to 30MG because of the heat seats in my car. My whole back was one massive hive. I also had a huge one on my stomach from my new jeans that are actually too big in the waist---just that little bit of rubbing set me off. Luckily, by now, I know my body and how it reacts, so I was able to "ward them off" and not descend to the flu-like, fever-running state that puts me to bed. Still, I keep hope that this will be over soon.

On to more fun stuff. Last night we had our annual trivia party. Butch and I started it 7 years ago. We invite all of our friends, their children and now the grandchildren. Each family brings an appetizer, a list of 10 questions and puts in $10. We all compete as families. The losing family has to host the next year. This year, we had 48 people. Each family gets a room in the house to discuss and answer their questions. We have the largest team with 12. Our grandkids say it's their favorite thing we do every year. We usually try to do something all alike to intimidate the rest of the teams. Last year we all had on red sweaters. This year it was the santa hats.
I had this idea on one of my Pinterest boards. I was happy with how it turned out. I also brought a huge pan of toasted ravioli, and a platter of crab roll-ups---an old recipe from Janet---one can of crab meat (drained), mixed with 8-oz. cream cheese and a small can of green chills. Spread on flour tortillas, roll-up, chill an slice. Easy and delish.
 Mitchell, Victoria and Morgan ready to answer questions. What is Ken's (of Ken and Barbie) last name? Morgan said she and her friends were just discussing it last week in art class, but she couldn't remember it. We got it wrong. The answer is "Carson." We all gave Morgan a hard time because her boyfriend is named Carson! How could she have forgotten that??!!
 Jordan, Butch and Elizabeth---who said it was the most boring party she's been to. This year, I had a set of questions just for the kids with a prize. She would probably have felt differently if she'd won. She wanted that box of chocolate covered cherries. Did you know they only put 10 in the box now? Can you spell "rip-off?"
Sandy was our official team captain. Mindy, Nicky, Steph and Greg in the background. Getting everyone to be quiet to answer the question is the hardest part. All of our friends think we have the advantage since our team is so big. But really, it's a hindrance because everyone is a "know-it-all." This year the arguing was kept at a minimum---I think because everyone was all "fought out" just coming up with our questions.
 The Sperrazza's hosted this year. Dennis has the house all decked out.
The best part of the night---Team Eads WON!!! I have to admit, type "A" personalities aside, we have some pretty smart cookies on our team! Everyone brings something to the table.

When we got home---around 10 p.m.---we decided to open a few family gifts. Sandy, Steph and Mindy handed out their gifts to everyone. We have to do things a little differently this year due to Jordan's work schedule. It's really messing things up. She works for a vet and has to work every day. To make matters worse, she works a split shift---7-1 and then back from 3-6:30 on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We're trying to be flexible, but it's hard to cram all of our family activities in to such a tight schedule.

We kick off Christmas Eve with a big breakfast. We do what I call "santa of the sleigh." I started that about  10 years ago. I put all the little (in size) gifts in a sleigh in the entry. Then, after breakfast, whichever kid has been appointed the "santa of the sleigh" dons a santa hat and hands them out. Afterwards, it's clean-up time. We started a new tradition last year---remember, in this family, if you do something one time, it becomes a tradition---all the girls go for manicures. After that, it's food prep time, nap and a Christmas movie. And did I mention the games? Constantly. Like I said, since we don't' get to be together that much, it's intense when we are.

Let the fun begin---or, I should say, continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.