Friday, December 2, 2011

Problem Fixed!

I spent 5 hours taking apart the new tree on Monday and re-decorating which includes 3 hours spent at Target buying "new" stuff. Red, that's the ticket. I knew that would show up and it does. Aside from the fact that I've packed away almost all of my "cool" ornaments and marked the boxes---"Living Room Ornaments---Do Not Use"---I'm pleased with the results. In 15 years, when I replace this tree, my ornaments will be all new to me again. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for unusual red ornaments. There is some lime green ornaments on the tree which look good too, but it's the red that really shows. Believe it or not, there are over 250 ornaments on the tree. None of our tree toppers will work, so I bought a new red star, that wouldn't work either.

I procrastinated with the decorating this year. I wanted it all done on Friday, but I just hate every minute of it and didn't finish until Sunday (well Monday, with the re-decorating of the tree). That's thrown me off schedule with the wrapping.

I saw this idea in a magazine. It looks okay, better in the magazine. I'm thinking of adding it to my dining room table decorations, but can't do that until after Mindy's birthday party on Saturday. I'll take a picture when I get that done. I have a really neat idea that I can't wait to do. We'll see how it turns out.
The thing with the tassel is actually a pillow sham that I found on clearance a couple of years ago. Originally, it was intended for the guest room. I never used it there and had it in the "get rid of" pile. I thought of it when I needed something for the entry table. Fabric always softens "tablescapes."
 At first, I couldn't find my needlepoint pillows. Turns out they were in the Christmas closet in a shopping bag all covered with tissue that looked like a bag of "wrap stuff." My memory---or lack there of---scares me. I searched everywhere for these pillows and finally decided they had to be in the Christmas closet.
 This year I decided to just leave my mantle alone. Rather than moving everything and putting up the traditional Christmas stuff, I just added magnolia leaves (which I always do anyway), holly branches and cedar trimmings. Much easier and it still looks festive and Christmasy.
I bought this handsome fellow in a Christmas shoppe in Bath, England. His hand-painted face reminded me of the other elves I have. His face and hands must be plastic because Butch already knocked him down and he didn't break.
 I love leaving my old jars out and just adding ornaments to turn them in to Christmas decorations.


 Connie gave me this Scrooge teapot many years ago. It's still one of my most favorite things. The Christmas platter is in front of a "photo tray" that Sandy made me for Christmas a few years ago. It stays up year round---I need to remember to take a picture of that.
Stephanie made this tree for me a few years ago. This is the perfect location for it.
Again, I took the lazy way out this year---just incorporating the Christmas stuff with my regular decorations. Does it look too much like a store? Want to buy something?
 My friend, Linda, started this collection for me years ago.
 Another old jar filled with ornaments, more Fitz and Floyd and my ceramic Christmas trees I've had for 25 years. I think it all looks good on Grandma Zimmermann's old tablecloth.
 I'm determined this year to be able to use the bar during the holidays. Usually it is blocked by our live tree. We're going to block the French doors with the tree this year. We'll see how it works out.
Nothing new here---I do this the same every year. Except, there's usually a clock dangling from my big elf. It got broken last year. When you walk in the front door, you are supposed to pick up on the idea that it's "time" for Christmas.
This little tree has all hand-made (by me) ornaments on it. I'm going to let all of my holiday guests take one home. There are glittered snowflakes with Christmas yoyo's from an old quilt that I found at an antique shop that I took apart. I added a vintage button to the center. Some have a vintage button on top of old milk caps. I made those last year.This year I did the tart tins with the vintage jewelry in the middle with crystals dangling. They're all pretty cute if I do say so myself.

I love my collection of Murano glass trees. I had planned to add to it when we visited Venice, Italy. I never saw a single one. Pretty disappointing. Our private guide at one of the Murano glass factories didn't know what I was talking about and even hinted that I might not have bought authentic Murano and may have gotten ripped off. Believe me, they are authentic---probably just made for Americans.

Well, I guess that's it for this year---until I get my dining room table decorated. I'm really excited about that.

I'd sure love to see everyone else's decorations. The bad part about living away is I don't get to see family decorations! Even here in town, I get to see just a couple of friends decorations---and they are few. Not very many people have things during the holidays. It's my favorite time to entertain. Heck, might as well, while the house looks different!

Speaking of which---the new lights go on the outside on Friday and the renovation work will finally be complete. I'll be posting some "befores" and "afters"next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.