Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Things I'm Not Happy About Right Now

1. Turns out the smoke alarm is "hardwired" and needs a service call. It started "chirping" in the middle of Sunday night again. (Update here---turns out it wasn't even the smoke alarm but our carbon monoxide alarm that does take batteries. The security system guy replaced them for us. Of course, we had to pay a service call because it really wasn't their problem. 95 bucks to change 3 batteries---sheeesh).

2. The new aquarium is too damn darn loud. Really, it's driving me nuts---wakes me up at night. I have to remember to close our bedroom door. Maybe that will help. No more sleeping on the couch.

3. The florescent light in the pantry is screwed up again. It won't turn on. Mr. Thrifty says we need to leave it on ALL the time. What??? This is the same guy that doesn't like to use the garage door opener because it wastes too much electricity. Plus, I'm a habitual light turner outer.

4. Taylor Swift won the role of Eponine in the screen version of Les Miserables (my ALL TIME favorite Broadway show). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, love, love our hometown girl---just not in my favorite play. I wanted Lea Michelle. I get that they want to try to get Taylor's fans in the seats. I guess it really is all about the money.

5. Mindy just scared me to death! It's 4:30 a.m. and someone just drove around our driveway. And it wasn't even Mindy. Hhhmmm, I wonder, why did I jump to that conclusion?

6. When it comes to products, why don't companies test them with the people that will be using them? Several cases in point:
   A. I've been complaining about paper trimmers for a long time and have purchased wasted money on every one. I would love to be the person that tell them: "the blade flies out when you lift the cutting bar" or "it simply does not cut straight." I have always relied on Fiskars to have the best scissors/cutting systems on the market. Not so with paper trimmers. A scrapbooker should have tested all trimmers.
   B. There are several serious blind spots on my car. And I can't see to back up---I know, I have a back up camera, but it's not "true to life" so it's hard to get used to. Maybe I'm just too short for it. A short driver should have tested the car.
   C. Mindy's cabinets in her new condo are configured "wrong." For one thing, she has 4 tiny drawers---none big enough for her cutlery holder. I'll have to see if they make a 10" one. And they put 3 shelves in each cabinet (making 4 if you count the bottom). As a result, you can't put a box of cereal or bottle of oil or anything taller than 8"---and she has no pantry, so the cabinets have to be used for food. In order to remove a shelf, or even adjust them, you have to take the cabinet doors off. What idiot designed that? Butch figured out a way to do it, but, let's just say it was NOT how it was supposed to be done (don't want Mindy to freak, here). A cook should have tested this kitchen.

7. I turn 60 today. I've never been bothered by birthdays and actually look on each one as a milestone. I haven't been all that bothered by this one either---until I saw the number in "print." Man, 60 seems old. When I sort of complained about it, one of my friends emailed me with this: "Barb, you have the energy of 3---20 year olds." That made me feel better. Then Connie said, "I'd say 4---15 year olds." One thing is for sure, I have more upper body strength than my girls. (Heading towards 70---now that seems really old).

8. I have a slight headache---and it's my birthday! I shouldn't complain, I rarely get headaches anymore.

I was hoping to come up with 10 things, but can't. So I guess that's a good thing---I'm pretty darn lucky and happy in my life that I don't have much to complain about. Just give me a few more days....

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! 60 isn't old, not at all. I had that birthday five years ago and I am still not old. My youngest granddaughter tells me that I am only "getting older" so now you can join me in the getting older age group

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.