Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Missing in Action

It seems like I've been gone forever and we're getting ready to leave again on Thursday for Sandy's. The next two months are nothing but traveling for us. I'm not complaining because it's all fun. It's just that when I'm home, that doesn't leave much time for anything else---pay bills, re-organize for the next trip, get class materials, handouts and kits ready, Curves, family dinners, plus all the normal household stuff. Unfortunately, it's my blog that suffers.

I just got back from St. Louis (actually, I was at a scrapbook retreat in Barry, IL) on Sunday. Due to OnStar, we came home a different way. I thought that would save us a lot of time. It didn't really. We went through Illinois so there was much less traffic. But, time-wise, I think it was about the same---7 1/2 hours of driving time plus another hour and a half for gas and food stops. It felt good to be home. Butch went to a Superbowl party without me (my choice). I took a shower and started on the mail.

We had a great time at the retreat. Most of the same people go, so after 5 years, we've gotten to know quite a few of them. The funniest story of the weekend came from Janet. She tells it best, but here goes. She had gone for a pedicure/manicure on Monday. After the pedicure, she went to sit in the manicure chair. She bent forward to get her shoes when the chair slid out and rolled away from her---leaving her to flounder on the floor trying to protect her pedicure. About that time, the little Vietnamese girl came out of her seat over the top of the table and said, (you have to imagine the accent), "where you go?" Maybe you had to be there, but it was hysterical and came up several times during the weekend.

We had a delicious, new type of brownie. If I get my hands on the recipe, I'll share it here. It had a lot of peanuts and caramel---like a snickers or baby ruth. Downright sinful.

I think I got about 11 pages done at the retreat. I'll be sharing those when I get them photographed. I'll also be sharing everyone else's layouts on my AYM blog. Nancy photographed them and is going to email them to me.

During the Superbowl, I got a text from Jordan that she wanted a family dinner on Wednesday. Since I'll be at the theater on Wednesday, I called Steph to discuss the week. We decided on Monday night, but then that required me to plan a meal. I asked Jordan what she wanted. She's easy. Hamburgers on the grill, regular fries and sweet potato fries. Since I returned to Nashville and springtime (the daffodils are in bloom already---not really good---too early), I wasn't worried about standing outside in the cold. I hit the grocery store after Curves---early morning grocery shopping works best for me.

Monday went by in a flash---so much work to do. The kids---including the big ones and one boyfriend---all came over. It was fun to catch up with everyone. Steph's stressed about her new position at work---happy to be doing what she's wanted for a long time, but stressed at the amount of work.

Mindy still loves her job and the traveling involved. She's all about her "premium" status with airlines and hotels. She's heading to Mardi Gras in NOLA in a couple of weeks and is excited about that too. She's also stoked about AYM and has a lot of ideas.

Jordan got a fab interim report---she's one smart cookie---takes after her mom. They are starting the college hunt. UT is first on the list at the end of the month. I can't believe I have grandchildren getting ready for college!

Morgan "wowed" us with her AP schedule for next year. It's going to be intense, but she's really smart too, so I guess she'll be fine. We gave her some info on a photography course at Grassmere (our zoo) that she's going to sign up for. We'll pay. Anything to promote her soon-to-be career.


Is anyone watching the new series, "Once Upon a Time"? It's by the makers of LOST. The show goes back and forth in time from Fairytale land to Storybook, MA. All of the fairytale characters are there, but they don't know who they are. It's really interesting. I love shows that go back and forth in time.

Here's what I found most interesting this week. There were actually 8 dwarfs. The 8th one was named "Stealthy." He was killed by one of the king's arrows. Since I've never actually read Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, I don't really know their backstory.

I'm watching "The Bachelor" even if it's sleazy. It gives my friends and I something to talk (and laugh) about. How desperate these girls act. Last week, one of them went "skinny dipping" with the bachelor. This week, she went topless only covered with beads. Mom always said it, "they won't buy the cow if they get the milk for free." She's going to be toast---count on it---and it's my girl in the "pool"---there's like $90. riding on it.

I'm definitely still a "Gleek". "Glee" got off to a rocky start this year, but it has really been good for the last couple of months. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when so many of the cast leave after this season.

As for good, wholesome family shows, I think there is only one on the air. "The Middle" is about a middle class family that lives in Indiana. The family interactions are so true to life. The kids are pretty nerdy, the house is a mess, the wife doesn't cook much, the kids fight and make fun of each other---it's just downright hysterical.

I'm really liking the drama, "The Good Wife." I don't like her husband at all. He seems so slimy. I can't figure out if he's supposed to be a good guy or a bad guy.  I love Eli Gold and Calinda.

Now for the soaps. I'm hooked on "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice." I've always loved shows with beautiful people. Patrick Dempsey---Kate Walsh---Taye Diggs---need I say more?

When I think about anyone alive or dead who I would like to have dinner with, I would choose "Ellen"---hands down. She is just so funny. The stuff she comes up with is just plain genius!

"Last Man Standing" is pretty funny. I like that Tim Allen has 3 daughters---we can relate. But, I have to admit, it's his same show except with girls this time instead of the 3 sons.

I watched "The Voice" after the Superbowl. We really liked that show last year even though we came to it pretty late in the season and didn't see how the teams were selected. I like that part too----they don't see the performers, so they are judges solely on their voices. Check it out.

That's it for now. I have a class tomorrow and have some more prep work for. I'll try to blog from Sandy's. Later...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.