Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Remember Man....

...that thou art dust and unto dust thou shallst return."

I'm pretty sure that these are the words that Mindy lives by. This must be her excuse for the "dust" that has covered every abode she's ever lived in. What's the point if that's where we're all going to end up anyway? Uh, Mindy, does that sound about right?

Well, today she surprised me. Unbeknownst to her, I had planned to surprise her by going to her new condo and hanging her framed playbills that I just picked up yesterday. I even debated with myself as to whether it was a good idea to surprise her. I didn't want the surprise to be on me. If her place was a mess, that would really bother me. This time, I was surprised, but in a good way.

Anyway, Butch and I went to 7 a.m. Mass for Ash Wednesday. We went to Cathedral, so we were right down the street from Mindy's place. We realized that she had not given us back the security pass that she loaned to a visiting friend a couple of weeks ago. I had to call her so she could "buzz" us in.

I had already told myself that I was not going to look around or even enter her bedroom. I am not a SNOOP---ever----anywhere. We had to go in the kitchen to get her tool box. I did notice that she did not have a single dish on the counter or in the sink. What's up with that? She always has dirty dishes lying around. Then, I noticed her living room (which is open from the kitchen) was all straightened up too. Huh? Could this seriously be the home of my baby?

Not wanting to ruin this new "illusion" of her, I did not go in to her bedroom or bathroom. She told me that she was going to respect her new place by keeping it nice---since she's a homeowner now. I didn't believe it. I knew that to keep my sanity, I just wouldn't visit. But I never expected this.

Mindy, I have to say, I am REALLY proud of you!!! Darn, I wished I had brought a few friends along to see!
Mindy and mom, 1984

Steeplechase, 2011


PS I missed it, but my post on Monday was my 700th!!

2 comments:

  1. When you are growing up and going to college the places you live aren't yours so it doesn't matter. However, when it is your money that is paying to keep your place and your money that will be spent on fixing things it is a whole different way of life - either that or she has been watching hoarders and realised that it really isn't that big a step..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping you are right. I was quite a slob myself as a teenager, but changed by the time I got married. Maybe she's just taken a little longer to get her "act" together.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.