Monday, April 23, 2012

Long Car Rides

We left St. Louis on January 1, 1977. As I was sobbing to be leaving family and friends, Butch consoled me by saying, "look Barb, it will be an adventure!" And boy, has it been. But since we've lived away for so long, we have this travel thing down pat. We had several years of working out all the kinks when the girls were little. They always had to go to the bathroom, or were hungry to which Butch responded by speeding up at every exit. Soon they learned to be good travelers. Or, it could be that we started traveling at night while they slept.

Butch has never been much of a talker. In fact, about 10 years ago, I told him several days in advance that he needed to prepare 3 topics of conversation. As long as I reminded him, that worked for awhile. Finally, I gave up---arming myself with my book, several magazines and sudoku to keep myself busy while he listened to the "oldie" station. Although I prefer my "Broadway" channel, I don't mind the "oldies.'

This weekend, we went to St. Louis. Here's how it went down. I try to wait until we reach the highway before asking my first question, knowing that our chatting time is limited. Our conversation lasts about a half hour before we (I)'ve exhausted all topics. From then on, I occupy myself with my own stuff and take a lot of naps. 

We were nearing Mt. Vernon when I asked Butch when he wanted to stop for dinner. He said he hadn't planned on it. He never likes to eat. Anyway, he said, "well, we need gas, so we'll stop." He did. We had to go to McDonald's because it was hooked on to the gas station. I was supposed to get the food while he filled up. I asked him "what is the rush, can't we eat in?" He, very aggravated, agreed to eat inside. Let's face it, McDonalds wasn't what I had in mind to begin with. I was hoping to go somewhere and be waited on. He ordered first---from the dollar menu---as usual. I got the expensive fish sandwich with fries and drink. He just got the sandwich. I gave him my drink and we shared the fries. About 7 bucks.

As we continued on, he spoke the words I thought I would never hear from him. He said, "I'm sick of these songs." Now, mind you, I've criticized him for many years about this. I tell him he lives in the past, never wanting to listen to anything but "oldies." It was a shock to hear that. He kept station hopping. That drives me crazy as each time a good song would come on, he'd switch it. Just like when he has the tv remote. I kept quiet because I believe that whoever is driving, gets to control the radio.

We had a great time in St. Louis---especially since I won $17.00 playing poker.

We left about 8 on Sunday to come home. Another quiet trip, but I caught up on my sleep! That's not all bad.  Oh, and by the way, we didn't stop at all on the way home. Like I said, we have this traveling thing down pat.


1 comment:

  1. A very finely observed story. I enjoyed it very much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.