Saturday, June 2, 2012

What I Believe



I believe that basically people are honest. I live by my honesty and integrity. Not to brag (okay, maybe a little), but I’ve had my share of “tests.”

A couple things come to mind. We had some roof damage that caused a leak in our house when we lived in Kansas City. I got the money from the insurance company, hired a company to do the work. They did about 75% of the work and quit showing up. I called and called---no answer or return calls. After about a month, I made one last call. I said, “if you do not call or come back to finish the job by ---- date, I’m going to call someone else and I WILL NOT be paying you for the work you’ve done.” Never heard a word, hired someone else and got the job done. As a result, I had about $700 or $800 left over. I took it back to our insurance company and they seemed baffled as to what to do with the money. I have a basic philosophy about that---I never want to profit from my insurance company.

On another occasion, I got home from the grocery store and was bragging to Butch about how much money I got back with my coupons. The more I thought about it, it seemed like an awful lot.  I looked at my receipt and realized that instead of giving me $2.00 for something, they gave me $20.00. I took the girls with me when I returned the money----feeling like it was a good teachable moment. I will admit, at the time, I’d wished I hadn’t looked at the receipt! So, I’m in no way perfect.

I won’t lie to get a discount. I won’t pretend to be a senior if I’m not---some places it’s 60---so I’m okay. But it’s higher at most places. It’s just not worth compromising my integrity for a couple of bucks.

Now to what all this is leading to. I believe that more people are like me than not. Everyone knows that I am not a worrier. I let strangers in to do work at my house even if I’m not home. I tell too many people where we keep the key (I realize this is NOT a good idea---the only people that have this information are people that have been with us for a very long time---but still, it’s a long list.) We did have someone steal from us while installing carpet (and I was home), but that was resolved amicably.

I leave my nice umbrellas on the sidewalk outside of establishments---to the amazement of friends. I’ve not had one stolen yet. Maybe I’m foolish and tempting fate. I’m just a trusting person.

So what happened is I lost my credit card. Considering my memory is not what it used to be, I had to really think hard. It’s funny what your mind can convince you of. I remembered that I had gotten the card out to pay for my manicure, but decided to pay cash instead. Surely I must have dropped it when putting it back in my purse.

After dropping Morgan off for her exam (she’s going with me to Kalamazoo), I ran over to the nail place. They didn’t have it. Now I was a little panicky. I’m going on a trip---I have $500 cash, which should cover everything---gas, food, fun. But, I’m used to the security of having a card with me.

I thought back to what I did before I went for my nails. I stopped for gas. I remembered how mad I got as I tried 2 pumps---neither of which were working properly so I left without filling up. 

Now, I headed back to the station. The woman inside said she didn’t have any lost cards. I asked her about yesterday. She went to the back and checked. Lo and behold, they had it. Thank you to whoever turned it in. I was already thinking of the hassle it was going to be to have to cancel that card. I’m glad an honest person found it.

More importantly, it scares me that I was certain---I even saw myself in my mind---take the card out and then put it back. I don’t usually lose things. I’m definitely going to have to be more careful.

Thank God for honest people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.