Monday, July 16, 2012

Sister's Weekend Observations

This weekend, 5 of the 6 sisters came for our annual "Sister's Weekend." Our sister-in-law, Sharon had to cancel at the last minute because her mom went in to the hospital. We call Janet and Sharon our sisters because they are. They've been with us for over 35 years---or maybe I should say---put up with us for over 35 years!

Janet and Jeanne arrived on Wednesday night. The other girls started arriving on Thursday. Every one of them had some sort of delay.

This is how we began---at least Joyce did. The upside down Corona slowly pours in to the margarita. Jeanne was too cheap to buy one.
Morgan "waited" on us Friday when all my friends were here. It's nice to have someone get drinks, make lunch, and handle the music. Everyone gave her a tip besides what I paid her. She made out like a bandit!!
Someone was bound to be thrown in the pool. Joyce started it by throwing me in. I had my suit on, so it wasn't really a big deal. Janice got Joyce---with the help of Karolyn. My friends moved to the far side of the pool. They didn't want to be involved in any sort of retribution! Chickens.

Happy Hour---everyone came including the teenagers and their boyfriends.


I don't recall what this little tiff between Janice and Jennifer was about. But no one wants to take a "noogie" from Jennifer!!


Our only group shot outside of Longhorn. I had planned for us to go to the Bonefish Grill, but they couldn't take us. Besides, our group is pretty loud, so it's probably just as well. From front row, left to right: Joyce, Janice, Jennifer, back row: Jeanne, Janet and me.
Only Jordan could pull off suede boots and a pea coat over a strapless sundress in the middle of summer! She said the coat was her rain coat---but it's totally a wool pea coat. We all set her straight. You can barely see the top of her boots here. I didn't want to make her feel too self-conscious about them---she actually looked pretty cute. She "waited" on us on Saturday and served lunch. She had Spencer to help. They both made out like bandits! Next year, I'm going to reduce what I pay them since they get tips. Isn't that exactly how waitresses are paid---low wages due to good tips??
We talked about how the twins---unbeknownst to each other---do/buy the same things. I bought the flip flops, but they have bought the exact same shoes on two different occasions. They live in different states. Janice and Jennifer decided to go for pedicures on Saturday morning. Neither realized that they had both chosen the exact same nail color. Have you seen the 100 or more choices? Eerie---always! Don't they have identical toes?

Joyce is the cooler queen. I couldn't believe how much alcohol I bought for the weekend. When Joyce got here, she needed "red ones." Huh? Turns out that means Budweiser---not to be confused with "blue ones" which are "lite" or the select. She thought she was going to need 3 cases---since Scott wasn't with her. I said I was only paying for one! By the way, I never did pay for one. I don't really think she drank 3 cases. When she has a little too much, she doesn't talk too much or get too loud. She just grins ALL the time!

Jeanne requested Budweiser Select. Butch did the beer/alcohol run. He came home with the Select 55. Wrong ones. I just don't know beer and don't particularly care to learn.
Getting a "yahtzee" in "left, right center" is NOT a good thing. With one roll, Butch lost all 5 of his quarters. We have NEVER seen this happen! No one could believe it.

I got Jennifer set up on Facebook. I thought this was so sad. Even Janice had 8 friends---wait, she had me "de-friend" one, so make that 7!! While they were getting their pedicures, we got Janice a whole bunch more friends!

Observations:
Ever since our family trip to New Orleans, Jeanne has not worn her matador outfit. That didn't keep Janice from wearing her bowling shirt!

Joyce would rather drink than eat. She doesn't want any snacks on the poker table! Actually, we felt like Ronnie was with us! They are just alike in every way. They are the lucky ones that got the "skinny" gene.

Janet just blends in. She brought her amazing chocolate chip cookies. They weren't allowed on the poker table either! She also brought some darling pictures of Evie---her new grand baby.

Jeanne brought a million few pictures of Travis. My friend, Nancy asked her to narrow it down to 3! She was just joking, of course! Or maybe not.

Apparently, I can only beat the Zimmermann's at poker when I'm in St. Louis. I lost $8.40 for the weekend.

It continually amazes me that the grandkids and their boyfriends like to be around the family. They don't want to miss games. Carson came back on Sunday to pick up his motorcycle and said he thought everyone was hilarious. Maybe that's what keeps them coming---the comedic entertainment! Kind of like the last time when Butch brought Gumby to the table!

When it comes to getting ready, Janice is the pokiest in the family. Jeanne says it's because she never had kids.

Everyone talks at once. The loudest wins! When I go to bed at night, my ears are ringing. I have to admit, I'm right there with them. That's what growing up in a big family does---you have to be heard!

Butch did a good job of fading in to the background until needed. He handled recycling---and believe me, there were a ton of bottles and cans. He blew up Janet's raft for her. I was going to have Jordan do it since she was our pool girl that day.

We lucked out with the weather. In spite of so much rain, we managed to get in the pool both days for several hours.

Hosting sisters and ants on the same weekend was too much to handle. I've been fighting the ants for awhile now. Maybe all this rain...my "bug man" can't seem to handle it, so I decided to try something on my own. Janice suggested the bay leafs---they're coming in around the switch plate. They didn't work. The jury is still out on the Terro ant killer as it can take as much as 2 weeks.

Until next year---or if any of you sisters have anything to add, I'll be happy to post an update!
I love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! and your record of the weekned is so important. It's something special to look back on.

    I'm back from holiday and enjoying a browse through your posts - I knew it would give me a smile in the middle of my unpacking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.