Saturday, July 28, 2012

To My Scrapbook Friends

I made the decision on Tuesday NOT to scrapbook at the beach. I knew that no matter how detailed I planned I would not be able to get the pages done the way I wanted. There are a couple that I want to use my sewing machine on and my Cricut. When you are traveling with 5 women and 2 cars (and only one car returns with 4 women), there was just no way we could get all of our stuff---plus the beach chairs, floats, umbrellas and all the regular stuff we take on vacation. I pack light when I scrapbook anyway, but there are some basic things that you have to have that take up a lot of space---Ott light, simple cutting system (not my Quickutz or Cricut), and my tool bag is huge.

Once I made that decision, it really freed up my time. I got so much accomplished. I got the title page done for one of my AYM (A Year of Memories) groups. Three years ago, after debuting "Making the Most of My Memories" workshop, "A Year of Memories" was the natural next step. Now that the pictures are organized in a new way, AYM put it to the test. Every month, I provide a kit of materials and a topic. My first group is on year 3. I have another group on year 2 and a group just in their first year. All that in the way of explanation. This workshop is about telling your stories. I design the title and end pages for all groups. This is for my beginner group---keeping it simple for them while at the same time teaching a technique. On this page it's the hand stitching here and there.
I also got kits together for 2 groups. Then I started cleaning out and re-organizing. I've been traveling so much, that I had not put away all the leftover stuff from several retreats. You know my philosophy about that---I put all of the leftover bits and pieces in zip locks by color. These I store in a mesh bag. I put that in my rolling tote whenever I go on a scrapbook retreat. That way, I have a little something extra if I need it.

Then I moved on to sorting photos. I had let them get a bit out of control. The beauty of getting them organized is that now I have page kits together. It's so each to pick up a set with papers and embellishments already decided. That way, when I have just a little snippet of time here and there, I can actually accomplish something rather than waste all of my time hunting for just the right thing. I put together enough for the August retreat AND my "cousin's crop" in October.

On Thursday, I was asked to teach a class at the retreat in August that Jeanne, Janet and I always go to. I've taught there before and enjoy it. I'll get that planned when I come back from the beach at the end of the week.

Anyway, everything is under control in my scrapbook room again. I would love to call it my studio, but that sounds a little pompous to me. Ahh, what's in a name...

I'd show you some pictures, but since Mindy came over last Saturday and left her mess, the room is still a wreck. I think it will be another couple of weeks before she finishes. I'm not going to let her do that again. Either she finishes, or packs it up and takes it home with her.

On a sadder note, I have a friend, Sandy Good, who is seriously ill. It is not looking good. Please keep her in your prayers.

Next report from the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.