Thursday, August 23, 2012

Things That Define Us

It's been nearly a week since I posted. Most of you know why. My hives are giving me fits. I was in bed from last Friday afternoon until Tuesday. Even out of bed, I've been laying around too weak to do much. I've had to cancel my trip to St. Louis to go scrapbooking with Jeanne and Janet. I hate that. I miss spending a little time with my cousin. I miss seeing Aunt Marie.

So here's the deal. Many things can define you, but I think that we each have a defining moment. And we have control over what that will be. The problem is that we don't think about it and before you know it, our defining moment has been set. I believe my hives have defined me. They have taken over who I am. I hate it. I'm done with it. From right now, my hives are taking a backseat. I'm happy that I've still been able to resist the prednisone. But now, I'm quitting it all! Nothing's working anyway.

I know it sounds like big talk, but I've had it. 13 years has been enough. At least I feel good declaring that my hives are not going to define me. Right now. Today.

2 comments:

  1. I have a favourite quote in moments like this - Maya Angelou's "I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it"

    I think you are doing a marvellous job of not being reduced by it

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that's so brave! Just remember that whatever you feel like and however low you get we are here to encourage you and cheer you on. I know how despondent a person can get when a physical ailment tries to take over - the excema does that sometimes - we are here to send you cyber hugs and to pray with you if you want us to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.