Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 1 and Day 2

We got off to a bit of a rocky start. For whatever reason, our alarm didn't go off. That's the second time that happened. We're getting a new one when we get home. We ended up being 45 minutes late getting up. We rushed and were only about 20 minutes late getting out the door, but 20 minutes is a big deal when it means getting to the airport, dropping the car off, checking in and getting through security. All turned out okay as we made it to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare. A bit stressful to start.

Once we got to Boston, we had 3 hours to wait for Walter and Chris. We got the rental car and had lunch.

 This is where we had dinner. I got scallops that were delicious. I'm planning on having seafood for lunch and dinner this entire trip. It's so good and fresh---and much cheaper than home.
 This is Kennebunkport---the Bush compound. It is huge and right on the point---water all around.
Today we visited this lighthouse called "The Head" in Portland, Maine. It was commissioned by George Washington and was the first lighthouse. We didn't get to go up inside as it's not open to the public. It still operates today.
A limo pulled up and a wedding party got out. I would have loved to take a picture, but didn't want to be obvious. The bride had royal blue heels with her white dress and a royal blue bouquet. The bride's maid's dresses were royal blue with hot pink heels. I didn't quite get that---the pink shoes, but I did like the royal blue for the bride.
This is the hotel we're staying in tonight---in Boothbay Harbour, Maine. It sits on the water. Chris and I sat on our deck stitching this afternoon while the guys went geo-caching. I have to say, its a bit chilly here. I did bring a couple of jackets, but two of them are more decorative than warm. I really only have one warm jacket, but I always travel with a pashmina, so that helps. Walter and Chris stopped for a photo before dinner.
I meant to take the picture before I started to eat. We all planned to have lobster tonight, but the minimum you could get was 2 lobsters--1 1/8 lbs. each---and you couldn't share. The prices were definitely right. Walter and Chris ended up getting 3 lobsters each (the whole thing) for $25.00. I opted for the lobster nicoise salad. It was a good choice. Kind of a lighter option. Butch got salmon oscar that he said was delicious also. 

I will have a lobster dinner before I Ieave here. But I just want one!

Butch and Walter have planned this entire trip. Butch is keeping everything a surprise for me. I find out at dinner what we're doing the next day. I'm very excited about tomorrow. We're going to some botanical garden that is supposed to be fabulous. They recommend that you plan at least two hours there. I'm going to be in heaven. I promise not to bore you with too many flower photos, but you know there will be some...

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got there in the end - I'm imagining a kind of Home Alone scenario in my head now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, if ever a place might persuade me to fly again then New England would be it and Maine in particular. I have never been there but it is one place that fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.