Saturday, November 17, 2012

I Hate Crafts!

I can't tell you how many times I've said this. I think I burned myself out in the 70's with pinecone wreaths, crushed ice candles, macrame everything, candlewicking, clothespin ornaments, pretty much you name it, I've done it. But what can I do? No matter how much I protest, my girls insist on getting me to make crafts with them. Thank you Pinterest, thank you very much!! I can't say "no." Let me just tell you how our recent craft came about.

Stephanie and Mindy were telling me about the wreath that their friend Rikki made---inspired by one she saw on Pinterest. Rikki showed her craft prowess when we were together last fall to make Halloween shadow boxes.
Rikki told the girls how easy these wreaths were to make. Famous last words!

The plan was set a week ago Friday. This Friday, we were to go to Target after "happy hour" to supplement the ornaments I already bought from the Dollar Store. I told them that we would go to Longhorn for dinner after.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday. I had decided to surprise the girls and take them to Whitfields for dinner in honor of Steph's upcoming birthday. I had to tell a bit of a fib to explain why we had to go to a different Target. Mindy asked if we could go to J. Alexander's for dinner---she's all about the food. I said that was fine---knowing that I was still going to surprise them with the nicer restaurant. Little did I know that Mindy was going to invite her dad and Nicky (Steph's boyfriend.) I had planned to include them to further the surprise. I emailed Nicky and told Butch about our plan to go to Whitfields instead, and told them "mum's the word."

Wednesday night, I went to Outback with Connie and Nancy before going to the theater. It had been years since I'd been there. The food was so good and they had a steak and lobster special that I knew the girls would be all over. Sooo, I changed the plans yet again. I emailed Nicky about the change. I think I had the guy so thoroughly confused that when Steph was confirming plans with him, he texted, "Outback at 6:30---right?" Steph---a little on the testy side---texted back, "NO!! J.Alexander's at 6:15.

Alls well that ends well. After our Target run, we told the girls about the surprise. We all had a great dinner and set the plans for wreath making this morning.
 Dollar Store ornaments---$12.00 worth.
 Target ornaments---$48.00 worth. Wire coat hangers---free. Butch did the bending---also free.
First thing to do is to organize the ornaments. We got started. Within 10 minutes, Mindy started whining that hers didn't look as good as mine and Steph's. She always whines, not having much fun, then ends on a high note when her project turns out well. Here are the end results:
 This one is Mindy's. I didn't have a good place to hang the wreaths for photo purposes.

 Here's Steph's. Each one turned out so cute. Stephanie and Mindy made theirs very colorful.

 Here's the one I made. I stuck with all the traditional colors since I knew there were not enough of the blue, orange and pink ornaments for all of us. I'm taking this one to Sandy when we go for Thanksgiving..
 
I've been making bows for many years. You can hardly go wrong with wired ribbon.
Mindy's not really posing here---just holding her wire coat hanger up.

Can I admit that this was a fun project? Not really. There were some problems with the tops of the ornaments popping out. It didn't take too long, so that was good. Would I make them again? Only if Rikki agreed to come and be "in charge!"

PS Rikki, send me your photo and I'll post it here!!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! how beautiful! Did you use wire to fix the baubles onto the coathanger? I have a load of baubles that stay in the box every Christmas. I tend to keep the tree with siver and glass and so all the coloured ones don't get used. That would be a lovely idea to hang somewhere and would use all the baubles that I can't bear to throw away. Instructions please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now these are lovely. We don't have a tree anymore at this house and I'm always looking for more ways to hang ornaments. Hmm - wonder if Wookie would like something dry cleaned so I can get the hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there's a title to pull me in..knowing you as I am starting to do!

    The wreaths are stunning - well worth doing. And of course you have me bemoaning our lack of Target now too :) Great post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.