Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Laid Back Sunday

The whole reason I like to go to Mass on Saturday is so that we can just chill out on Sundays. I might scrapbook a little, but mostly I spend the day reading or catching up on my blogs. This past Sunday I got up at 4:30 a.m. The only plan I had was to just hang out in front of the fireplace with my tea, computer, Pandora and my Kindle. At least it started that way.

By about 10 a.m. I decided to go to Sam's and get the "stock up for Christmas run" out of the way.
Little did I know I was going to have lunch there. I started with a piece of bacon, sausage, egg and hash brown casserole, orange juice, a slice of salami on a pretzel chip, a ham cube, a shrimp taco, an energy vitamin drink, brownie brittle and a piece of chocolate cake. I could eat like this all the time. A little of this, a little of that---just enough---well, actually, not quite. I wonder how many calories all of those little bites added up to. Anyway, I was full enough.

Sam's is not a good place for me to go. That's why I limit my trips to just when the whole family is going to be together. I am too much of an impulse buyer. Plus, all of those little bites taste good right then in the store, but when you get it home, it's not quite the same and then you're stuck with 50 of whatever it is. With just the two of us, there's quite a waste. I was proud of myself. I only impulse bought 2 things. One for a Christmas gift and the other was Olive Garden salad dressing. Butch says I have a problem with salad dressings (you know, my multiples issues). When we cleaned out the pantry a while back, we ended up throwing quite a few away. That kind of justified my "restocking" with these two very large bottles of Olive Garden dressing. The trade-off was that I had about 5 other items in my cart that I put back. I maintained quite the willpower on this trip.

When I got home, I spent some time with my book. I just finished Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly which I highly recommend. I decided to read a "holiday" book---if you can call Hercule Poirot's Christmas---an Agatha Christie murder mystery a "holiday" book. I haven't read her in years, but have been a fan since my very first book in the 7th grade---The Murder of Roger Acroyd. Back then, I flew through those books. I still love a good mystery. Anyway, after a little reading, I was ready to get back to work.
I bought 2 bouquets from Sam's---both white mums, one tipped in green. I love all flowers, but am partial to white ones for my arrangements. At Christmas time, I love to have an arrangement on the dining room table all season long. I usually put it together right after Thanksgiving. But this year, I wasn't doing any entertaining, so decided to wait. Mums last forever. When I make my arrangements after Thanksgiving, all I have to do is swap out the flowers one time during the season. The greens stay fine. They might dry out a little but that's okay.
I get all of the greens from my garden. I like to get a good variety of colors and textures. Remember the milk bottles in the carrier I bought at an antique shop and used last year? Well, I start with putting one of each type of green in every bottle. I tuck in the flowers last. I am no expert flower arranger, but you can't go wrong with this method.

 The red berries of the foster hollies look nice with the vintage cherry tablecloth. Since it's so close to Christmas now, I won't have to replace the flowers. I won't even have to add water. I'll take another picture on Christmas to let you see how it held up.
A friend of mine (Beth Ann) gave me this test tube set years ago for my birthday. I like to keep flowers in it year round. I've gotten kind of lazy about it this year due to all of our traveling. But I usually have something in the garden to put in it. These are just leftovers from my arrangement.
 I like having this view from my kitchen sink.

When I was finished with the arrangements, I put together a few simple hostess gifts. I like to think of things that are useful.
An easy idea is to add some pretty, wired Christmas ribbon to a pair of candles. Everybody loves candles.
 I cut rosemary from the garden and tied up a few spring with some pretty, wired Christmas ribbon. It smells so good. You can leave it on the window sill all winter long. It will dry out, but you can still use it for cooking.

I heap them all up in a basket so they are easy to grab and go for any holiday event. I should probably add a tag, but then I'd have to take the time to make some. I need to do that ahead for next year.

Morgan just got her first job. She is hostessing at The Corner Pub. Right off we were worried about how that would interfere with all of our holiday festivities---ornament exchange, Jordan's birthday party, family trivia, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. She's off on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but we don't know about the other days. Carson (her boyfriend) asked if he could still come even if she has to work. She wasn't too happy to think that her boyfriend would also be having fun without her! I think it's so cute that he wants to hang with us whether she's there or not. Who does that?? We love that boy!!

One last thing that will do your heart good. My brother, Matt is not on facebook, but his wife, Sharon is. She just posted this. I’m so proud of him that I had to post it on my blog!!! Way to go Matt, I love you!!

"While standing in line at the grocery store my hubby looks at me and says how about if I pay for that elderly lady's groceries. I told him to do what he wanted. Yes he followed the voice inside. We left a stunned yet thankful elderly woman and teary eyed checker. Listen to your inner voice."

Next up----holiday decor from my friend, Nancy's house.



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing for Matt to do. Such a Christian act. I bet that lady will somehow do something kind for someone else now if its only a hug, just because of his kindness.
    That's made my Christmas that has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right, it has done me good just to hear about that. The power of the knock-on effect, eh?

    That's an early start you make - no wonder you can get so much done in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a blessing Matt was, it has handed smiles across the ocean too.

    Lovely decorations with the milk bottles, we still have our milk delivered in bottles.

    Fun test tube idea too - I'm using some filled with candy as presents to go with money. Older nephews ask for such things and I don't like handing over an envelope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.