Sunday, December 9, 2012

Everything's a Tradition!

I've said it before, but when you do something once in this family, it becomes a tradition without me even realizing it. I'll get to that part of the story, but first, the "lead-up."

Last night, we celebrated Mindy's birthday. Butch and I went to 4:30 Mass then we all met at Mindy's for cocktails before dinner and to let her open her gifts. Her place is beautiful at night---on the 10th floor overlooking the city, plus her Christmas decorations---made for a festive setting.
The wreath she made looked really nice on her front door. The hallway is all sleek and modern, so this was a warm touch.
Butch bought her tree after Thanksgiving, set it up and put the lights on. (By the way, Mindy, you still owe us). She decorated it with all of her childhood ornaments. I miss all her ornaments we used to have on our tree---the ones I made from her Care Bears crib mobile from when she was a baby and even the tin can painted with the wise men she made in first grade. One of my favorites---that I haven't given her yet, is the kleenex angel dipped in wax she made in kindergarten. They are all so precious to me. I felt like that when I gave Sandy and Stephanie their childhood ornaments too---little pieces of memories from Christmases past.
 Mindy had been telling us how nice she was keeping her place. Apparently, home ownership was just what she needed to take pride in her surroundings. Everything sparkled, shined and smelled good!
 It's hard to take photos through the glass in the dark, so you can't really get a good feel for the view.
This was the biggest shocker. Her bed was made. I have NEVER seen that!! She did admit that she hadn't vacuumed. In fact, she didn't even know---until we told her on Friday at happy hour---that she HAD a vacuum cleaner! Remember the can opener she had in her car for 8 months and didn't know it? Typical Mindy. When we moved her in, we put the vacuum in the utility closet with the furnace. Still, if it was my place, I would have looked in every closet just to see what was there---especially if my parents moved me while I was at work.

She has a cleaning lady that comes in every other week. She was due this day, but went to someone else instead. That left Mindy to clean. She did a really good job considering that all through college she only used Windex wipes for everything---and only every 3 or 4 months at that. I could never live with her---as we discussed at dinner, but that's another story.

I have to fess up here. From the time she was born, we had a cleaning lady. She never learned how to clean. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just a fact. Without a doubt, we spoiled her (and still do). She was the baby and we were all "smitten"---Sandy and Stephanie too---and we still are. She's a good kind of spoiled, sweet, charming and all around delightful to have around. Not one of those whiny, bratty type of spoiled! We must have done something right because she's grown in to a responsible, capable young woman. She even keeps her closet nice---that's simply amazing!! She's always been a mess, but I guess that's finally over now---or at least until she comes "home." She's still a mess here---like the wake of a tornado. Again, another story.

We wouldn't tell anyone where we were taking them for dinner. Jimmy Kelly's is the place---an old family owned, upscale restaurant known for their steaks---and southern corn cakes.
 Nicky and Stephanie before the fried oysters,  crab cakes and salad arrived.
 Barb and Butch
Jordan and Mindy

This is where the tradition part comes in. At dinner, everyone decided that going to Jimmy Kelly's at Christmas was going to be a new family tradition---well, except for Butch---he just has to go along with the gang and is a pretty good sport about it. Still, I finally said to him, "stop!" He kept going on and on about how we ordered too much food. Nicky was right along agreeing with him. Just what we need---another guy in the family that only eats once a week!! I kept saying that if we had leftovers, we could take them home. 

The poor guy just can't help himself---I know he sees dollar signs. As it turned out, Jordan took home half of her cheeseburger (yes, she passed up steak for a burger---and it was unbelievably huge---at least a half pound). Mindy took home half of her steak and half of mine along with part of a baked potato and some of the corn cakes (those are complimentary). The only thing we "wasted" was the broccoli with cheese. I knew it would be too crunchy for my taste, so I didn't have any. The only way I eat crunchy veggies is with dip. The family said the cheese tasted like Cheez Whiz. Other than that, there was no waste. And the best part of all---since we ALL ordered the "half" filets, the bill wasn't as bad as Butch expected! So now he's agreed that we will go back next December. 

Another family tradition is born!!

3 comments:

  1. Your pride in your lovely family just shines through this warm and loving post. Does a body good to read something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely family and such a nice tradition. Wookie, Ewok & Princess prefer a burger over a steak - strange people ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.