Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tablecloths and Hospitality

Sian over at High in the Sky is hosting the first Storytelling Sunday of 2013. Stop over and check out some great stories.

Sian challenged us to tell a story about something precious. Something you would grab if the house was burning. I actually have a few things. But today, I'm going to focus on just one. Actually, two, if you count them separately.

I would definitely grab my grandmother's tablecloths.

They do not fit my tables, so I just folded them up an use them in a decorative way. The story goes back to 2011.

My cousin and I organized a Zimmermann family reunion. It had been years since we'd seen old aunts, uncles and cousins. I brought my scrapbooks. We reminisced about the time we had "in the country" where my grandparents lived. One of my cousins, quite a bit younger than me, asked if I would like to have two of her tablecloths. I jumped at it as I have nothing but memories from my grandmother. (Side note, I do have her beautiful script as she inscribed my First Communion book). Julie (my cousin) then said that since she was so much younger, she does not remember the huge family gatherings and was sad about that. I just reminded her that she got to see grandma Zimmermann everyday since they lived next door.

Little did she know the memories that these tablecloths evoked---the dining room table at Christmas laden with dozens of cookies---playing Scrabble on the screened porch or lounging in the glider---the "reading room" where grandma had all kinds of trashy newspapers and magazines like True Confessions, National Enquirer, etc.---and "the clubhouse" next door set up with a dozen tables---all with cloths for summer parties. I was so thrilled to get these tablecloths. They will remain precious to me for as long as I live.
I do have to mention one last thing. Although I would not be able to grab these in an emergency, I have to say that another precious thing to me would be my gallery wall in the dining room. I collected the antique frames for nearly a year---never paying more than $20 for them. When I thought I had enough, I took them all apart, cleaned and repaired them. I used all old photos---the newest would be the silhouettes of my grandchildren on the left. Other than that, the newest dates back to 1955---the rest are all older than that. It was a huge job, and I will NEVER take them down (I hope the paint holds up), but I'm so glad I did it. For a memory keeper like me, there couldn't be anything more perfect!

I just love Storytelling Sunday!

Stay tuned---tomorrow, we get organized!!


12 comments:

  1. Gosh...your gallery is gorgeous. well worth all the time spent collecting frames!

    How lovely to have such treasured cloths. I remember my gran's tablecloths, some of which my mum has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tableclothes are wonderful treasures as are the memories they evoke! And your wall of photos is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Table linens never survived long enough to pass on in my family. How nice that yours evoke such memories! But I LOVE the gallery wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious things indeed. Your Gallery is amazing - I bet the original owners of those frames would be delighted to think that they were still being displayed with love many years later. And your tablecloths - what a picture they conjure up. It's got me thinking about the kind of things I might pass down to a future generation - some fine linens would probably be better than a few bits of plastic!

    Thanks Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are wonderful tableclothes and it's lovely that your cousin let you have them. Your photo gallery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have encouraged me to dig out the box that contains the tablecloths and divide them up between my grandchildren now so that I can write down the stories that go with them. You'll have to tell us about some of those pictures in your gallery as StS: my precious goes through the year

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very precious tablecloths and the kind of things I would keep too. So many memories of folks sitting around the table, placing their hands on the linen. Imagine the conversations they could have!
    I love all your frames too. It's a beautiful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great memory to have and really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I love table cloths too and know just how you feel about them. I have so many that my family just shake their heads at me but imagine the meals and the conversations and the washing and folding of them over the years. This is such a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my Grandma's table cloth too. It is a huge crochet type and it is currently residing with my mom. My Grandma deemed it an 'everyday' table cloth but it has now become a 'special occasion' table cloth. I wonder what she would think about that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh tablecloths would be so evocative of family gatherings where food (and games) always seem to play a part - you are lucky to have them. And I add by own ooos and aahhs over your gallery wall. That is inspirational. Now I'm off to check out what you might be organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that wall is lovely, my Mom had a similar one - they all got taken down when she moved and haven't gone back up. I'm with Sian, bet the original owners would be pleased to know they are still used. Tablecloths are lovely aren't they? Although considering the state of the four tables today after the family gathering I was glad we could just wipe them off...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.