Sunday, February 3, 2013

Storytelling Sunday

Thanks to Sian for hosting another Storytelling Sunday.

This year, Sian's focus for Storytelling Sunday is on "picking your precious." Each month we are to choose something precious to us and tell the story. Here's mine.

I am from a very large, Italian, Catholic family. Actually owning a family heirloom is pretty darn special. Sometime after I got married, my aunt (one of my grandmother's sisters---bear with me here) gave me "Nonna's" punch bowl. That would be my great-grandmother. She died before I was born, so I never knew her. I cherished that punch bowl. I was told that I got it because I was the oldest great-grandchild. Makes sense to me.

As the years have gone by, I've used this punch bowl for Derby parties, showers, Christmas parties---just about any large gatherings. I would never loan it out. During the weekend of Sandy's wedding, a friend, giving me a hand with the "after the wedding/present opening brunch" chipped it. It's not a terrible chip, but it's there. I was always so careful with it---that saddened me. But, I have a philosophy about using the beautiful things I have. There's no sense in having them if you don't enjoy them.

That lead me to speculate about the punch bowl. I don't know a thing about it's history or any stories behind it---just that it belonged to my great-grandmother. I decided to ask my mom about it. She said she would think about it, ask around in the family and let me know. Now this is the same mother (I only had one) who couldn't even remember the day I was born. I asked her on my 50th birthday to recount that day for me. Her response was in an exasperated tone---"Oh, Barbara, I can't remember that far back!" What??? Seriously, who doesn't remember EVERYTHING surrounding the birth of their FIRST born?? Even if you had six more, I would think she would have remembered me!! She wasn't the sentimental type.

Anyway, back to the story. Since I didn't hear anything back from her, I made the layout and speculated about what the story might be.
I knew that my great-grandmother had been an excellent cook---and that the whole family came over on Sundays. I imagined that she loved to entertain and that perhaps I had inherited that from her. I imagined grand parties where the punch bowl would reign over the dining room table filled with a glistening brew. I imagined people dressed in their finest, laughing and cavorting and just relishing being together. I put it all down on paper---feeling a real kinship to this woman I had never known.

On my next visit to St. Louis. Mom said, "Oh, by the way. I asked around the family about the punch bowl. Seems no one ever remembers Nonna using it. It just sat on top of the china cabinet for as long as we can remember."

And just like that, my kinship with my great-grandmother was gone. So much for imaginary dreams!!



23 comments:

  1. Your story made me smile! Your philosophy on precious objects is the same as my mums! I like your imagination better than the reality about the history of the bowl though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your story. And how you told it. Love your philosophy - it's so true - why not use your 'best' things....thanks for the reminder (may just pop on my best dress and heels to do the pots now....having been ill for a week or so, it might just be the 'pick me up' I need)....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I have some china pieces from my great grandmother that she never used & my grandmother never used either because it was "too good". I must admit I haven't used them either because I haven't had a need for a giant serving plate, teapot, sugar & creamer bowls. Someday I am going to have to have a tea party with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much resonated with me in this story! First, I love the fact that you actually use this item & (to me) the chip is just another memory of time with friends. Second, something this lovely was probably a wedding gift & it seems the older generations did not use those items very often. We have some beautiful items from my hubby's family that we found stored in the attic - we use them anytime we can! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that story really made me smile! thanks for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree even precious things should be used, although yes, we try and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many trhings about this story I relate to! Not the least being my imagination can "run away with me" as my mother would say, and I can add a back story to anything! I love your story, even if it turned out not to be true - though we don't know that for certain sure. maybe she did use it or at least love it and no one else really noticed?

    I'm thinking about the birth of the first born currently, too, given that we have an approaching 18th birthday here.

    Thanks Barbara. This is a wonderful story and just exactly the kind of "precious" I love to hear about

    ReplyDelete
  8. a wonderful story. Your words are so true....there's no sense in having them if you don't enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled when I read that your imagination had let you create a story behind your punch bowl, which turned out to be untrue...I am very good at that too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it seems to be that she must have enjoyed entertaining punch-loving friends instead of family, and that's the only reason they couldn't recall. Or perhaps she did entertain family with some pretty potent mind-numbing punch? And you are right to use it often, a few little nicks won't even be noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I forgot to say, I think your page is lovely and old-fashioned - nicely scrapped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your story really made me smile x many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah - I like the page along with it's story, so much more satisfying than the truth ;) I also use my favourite things - I'd rather that than they sat up on a shelf waiting for someone to come along who would use them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great LO and a beautiful heirloom to own. I did smile when the story behind it didn't quite match up to your imagined one but it's great that you have created your own memories for it

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a disappointment for you when you discovered there were no great parties with the punch bowl as the center of attention. Sad, but just a bit funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great story that really made me smile. I also agree that beautiful things are meant to be used and at least it only got a little chip and didn't totally shatter. It really is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely bowl and so neat that you created a story for it that you found later didn't match up to what the family remembered. I'm in total agreement with you - it should be used and the nick is just another part of it's story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have quite a bit of beautiful crystal and china that was handed down to me. I don't know anything about some of it, and sadly, there is no one to ask. Your punch bowl is beautiful, and you've inspired me to take some photos and do some layouts of the pieces I have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your story is wonderful, it made me laugh! Your mother with her terrible memory might just have got it wrong and your layout tells the 'real' story... Yes use your precious, love it, chips and all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like to think that she did use it! Surely she must have at some time. It is a lovely punch bowl and reminded me of my own Grandma's punch bowl. She never had anything quite so lovely but I loved her bowl. The story goes that she bought it in an antique store long before I was born to use as a punch bowl. But really it was a washbowl - the kind that used to have a matching jug of water sitting with it. It was a beautiful blue and white bowl and held LOTS of punch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your story made me smile.....and I think people often used to have items that were 'just for best'....far better that you use it......even with the chip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've stopped keeping things just for best now but can see why that is so special to you x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.