Sunday, March 3, 2013

Storytelling Sunday

It's the first Sunday of the month and you know what that means: Storytelling Sunday from High in the Sky. Be sure to check out more stories today.
I have had this Belleek vase since 1992. Our family participated in the Ulster Project where 12 students from Ireland---6 Catholics and 6 Protestants---were placed with Catholic or Protestant families here for the summer. The purpose of the project was to show these teens that we can all live side by side amicably regardless of our faith.

We had a darling, little, red-headed Irish girl named Nuala. She and Stephanie hit it off right away and she became part of the family. She brought the vase to me as a “thank you” gift from her mother for hosting her. She was such a sweetheart, the pleasure was all ours. It was so much fun to compare our differences---but the girls were definitely more alike than not---just a couple of typical teenagers. Although I have no idea whether the Ulster Project continues today, it was a great learning experience for all of us at the time.

9 comments:

  1. Somehow you have managed to link last month's story to this month's linky page on Sian's blog.
    This story is just too good not to be seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I got the link fixed :) What a perfect precious to choose for this month..I wonder if I can find out if the Ukster Project still exists? I haven't heard of that one. I bet she had an absolute ball with you all..lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a remarkable project to participate in and how lovely you have the vase as a keepsake from that time. It would be interesting to know if the project was a success. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely vase and interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating story and a lovely keepsake too - definitely precious x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful vase. It is a shame that the two religions often fall out. When I was living in Ireland I was one of the few people in our small town who moved in both circles. It was such a shame that there was a permanent invisible divide even though they were amicable. I wonder if the project still runs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you got to participate and then to have such a momento as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely vase with such special memories x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful thing to have participated in, And a memory of a lovely girl tied in with the vase.
    You were on my mind this morning! I am getting along so well with my tidying, goodness! it feels so good when I have a bag, no matter how small to throw out or pass on at the end of each day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.