Friday, April 5, 2013

Best Friends

I've been thinking about best friends lately. I've been teasing Karolyn that she's my "new best friend." We've been spending a lot of time together lately because we've started a new business. Of course, I've added the caveat that she's only my "new best friend" until Connie retires. She says she's okay with that and is just going to relish being my BFF for now.

That got me to thinking. What makes a best friend? To me, a best friend is that one person you can't wait to call with good news---or (heaven help us) bad news. She's that one person that is alway happy for you (or sad if need be). You can share everything with her---daily annoyances, family "issues," or just anything you have on your mind. Every girl needs one.

Can you have more than one best friend? The answer to that is "YES!" I've had many throughout my life. Can you have more than one best friend at the same time? Well, if you're in 3rd grade, probably not. But as an adult, I have best friends for different reasons. Actually I'm pretty lucky that I have such a great circle of best friends. This became clear to me about 15 years ago when one of my friends lost her husband. I stepped in to help her with arrangements and sorting out medical bills. She kept introducing me to her family as "my very best friend." When I got home from the funeral parlor, I cried to Butch because I didn't "feel" like I was a best friend to her---just "a" friend. We didn't really have that sharing sort of relationship. I'll never forget what Butch said to me---"well, you know, Barb, maybe you don't get to decide who HER best friend is." That really got through. Isn't that just about the nicest thing---that someone thinks you are a best friend---even if you don't think you are? And just like that, I had another best friend.

Does having more than one best friend make you disloyal to them all? I don't think so. I think it just makes you lucky!! I don't have a problem keeping the confidence of many friends. Don't get me wrong, I can gossip as much as the next person. But I'm loyal to my friends. I won't share something told to me in confidence. Ever. Okay, sometimes to Butch. But then, he's really, really my BEST friend. But guys don't get the "petty stuff" Only girls do. I can't live without 'em.

And what about those family members that are best friends? They're the best because they're forever.

Who's your best friend? Take a minute today and email her to let her know. I guess I'll be sending a group email!!

This post wouldn't be complete without some pictures of my best friends:

My cousin, Chrissy. We've been best friends since  we were wee little!
Here we are today.
Here's Chrissy with her best friend, Judy. She's mine too!
I have always loved my godmother, Aunt Marie.
 Karolyn, my new best friend (but only until Connie retires)!
 Here we are back in the "olden days. That's Karolyn on the right. I'm next to her. Then there's Peggy and Susan.
 My sisters---from the back, Jeanne, Janet, me, Joyce (front left), Janice and Jennifer.
 Jeanne, me and Janet.
 Linda---she's my newest friend---we've known each other for only 12 years.
 Here are my Catholic friends---Susan, Mary Jo and Sally.
More Catholic friends---Madelyn, Kim and Kitty. I've know my Catholic friends since all of our kids went to school together and we worked on a kazillion projects through the years.
 Back in the day---Connie, me, Nancy and Pam.
Connie, my "bestie!"
And, of course, my friend list would not be complete without my best friend in the U.K.---Sian!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Andit looks like your group email is going to be a big one. Always good to be reminded that our own perception is not the same as someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have difficulty with that concept of other's perceptions so it is good to be reminded it isn't just me :) I too have lots of different groups of friends and enjoy meeting new people - always hoping to add another friend or at least friendly aquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aCquaintance even - it didn't let me edit :sigh:

      Delete
  3. I am very lucky to have a small group of very special friends. There are a few who I trust completely and they are extra special. I also think that sometimes friends come along for just a season - the close friendship is just what you both need at that time and then after you slowly drift apart. And that is a good thing too. We would be very lonely without friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Friend! I think about you every time I watch Nashville. That would be every Sunday at 7pm :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.