Monday, April 15, 2013

Dubrovnik, Croatia

 The view was beautiful everywhere---from land (like here) or the ship. The water is gloriously blue---not Caribbean aqua blue, but a different kind of blue---more turquoise.
 On our excursion, we went to the home of a local for a light lunch that consisted of prosciutto, cheese, bread, pickles and wine. They gave us a shot of 60% proof brandy to begin---eck! I gave mine to Butch. Then we had a little entertainment. I always enjoy seeing how the locals live. But seriously, I doubt they are serenaded whenever they eat!
St. Blaise Church. I finally learned the whole story about how St. Blaise became the patron saint of throats. Apparently, one of the miracles that was done in his name was the curing of a little girl who had a problem with her throat.
 St. Blaise is the patron saint of Croatia because he came to someone in a dream and foretold of an invasion. They were saved because of the prior warning.

Other that that, this is what I heard from the tour guide---blah, blah, blah--- government, blah, blah---5,000 Euros per meter (as if I know how much a meter is)---blah, blah---government, etc. and blah, blah, blah. I didn't even like learning about our own government stuff when we visited Washington. I'm just interested in people and day-to-day life. Stories are what interest me!
 We were able to get an earlier shuttle back to the ship. As we sat on our balcony with a pre-dinner cocktail (they gave us a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin and Grey Goose vodka---did I mention that everything is included?) we watched this glorious sun set!

Next stop...Kotor, Montenegro...I'm learning about places I've never heard of or knew existed. Butch said, "come on Barb!" Like he can't believe that I didn't know that Yugoslavia no longer exists. Like I said, not interested in government stuff. I didn't have to feel bad, Karolyn said she didn't know that Yugoslavia no longer existed either. What about you? Go ahead, you can admit it!!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't Yugoslavia called Slovakia now? Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That region of the world changes quite often! LOL Hopefully they are all settled now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just pretend a meter is a yard - tis fairly close and close enough for jazz ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.