Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Few Things

Hey All!
Just a few things:
Sorry about my gigantic font. Ever since I had my blog revamped, the font has been off---no matter what I do. If I choose something smaller, it comes out very tiny. Yet, "normal"---what I've always used is huge. Even as I'm typing up the post, the size and font are fine. But as soon as I post it, it reverts to some other font and is gigantic---with gaps that are too large. Just wanted you to know that I'm aware of the problem, but not how to fix it. I guess it's not really a big deal, but it's going to cost me a fortune next January when I have this year's blog entries printed---many more pages!
 Mindy had her 10 year class reunion where she met up with her first friend in Nashville. Leigh Anderson was about a month old when we moved here---Mindy was 2 months old. We lived in the same neighborhood and they went all through school together. They've recently reconnected over dinner.
This is our next needlepoint project---a witch on a stick.
Here's another version of a witch on a stick!

 
Sandy, Victoria, Mitchell and Elizabeth standing in the pancake line at Pancake Pantry. Every time we go by there, the line is around the block. Butch has always shaken his head---"I can't believe anyone would stand in line for pancakes! I just don't get it." From the man who doesn't want to stand in any line waiting for food!
My hydrangeas are spectacular---pink, purple and blue on the same plant! And just to show you what lighting can do:
 These are those same hydrangeas. The lighting is bad---I took the photos at different angles.
This one is better, but still not true to life.
 A different angle and better yet, but still not the true colors.
 This one was the best of all the shots on the kitchen table. Then I moved the vase to the artificial light under the counter.
I never thought artificial lighting would actually show the truest color of all. I just learned something about photography and lighting. I don't claim to be any great photographer and am not all that concerned about it. But this little experiment has made me realize that I need to pay a little more attention to light.

You may have noticed that "Operation Organization" has disappeared. Well, just like a lot of people, I lose steam after a couple of months. But, I am happy to report, that I have gone through ALL of my papers in my scrapbook room. and have gotten rid of about an 18" stack. Yes, you read that right---18"---and I still have about 36" left! That's 3 feet of paper. Hmmm. Maybe it's more like 4 feet.

Lastly, someone has asked me to explain the card game "fan tan." Here goes. Any number can play. Deal out all of the cards (some people may wind up with an extra card). The player to the left of the dealer must put down a 7. If they do not have a 7, then they have to put a penny in the pot. Let's assume that player #1 has played the 7 of hearts. The next player now must either play another 7 or build on the 7 of hearts by playing either the 8 or the 6. If they cannot play, they pay a penny to the pot and play moves to the next player. The table will look something like this:

Play continues with each person making a play. If you cannot, you have to put a penny in the pot. The strategy comes in if you have more than one play---figure out which card will block the most and hold it as long as you can. If you have a play, you must play---you cannot pay a penny and pass. Aces are low. The first one to go out wins all the pennies---plus a penny for each card left in the other players hand. This is a great game for kids---teaches them matching and numbers. Our grandparents used to play it with us on Sundays when we were little. They would give each of us 25 pennies. It was always fun.

That's about it for now.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty flowers - interesting about the lighting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy how you pull together a post with lots of different bits of news. I think a phone conversation with you would be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would become an expensive card game here as our smallest coin is 5c! LOL I never knew the game had a name but I have played it before, just not with the pennies :-) We could just use our poker chips :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lovely roundup and lovely photos (witch on a stick-made me smile!) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.