Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This Guy...

Is the best! Today is his birthday, so I decided to devote this post to him.

When I met him, he was a tv repairman. But, he had ambitions and dreams. After we got married in 1971, he embarked on a ten year journey to complete his education. At the time, we had a card table and two chairs for our kitchen table and a borrowed bed. Our big splurge each month was the purchase of a $2.00 game from Target. We were always big game players and still are. We ate out occasionally, but that was at McDonald's or Taco Bell. One summer we went to Baskin & Robbins twice in a week---then didn't have the money to pay our phone bill. The budget was tight---I had $15.00 a week to spend on food. That was adequate, but I had to use a calculator as I shopped.

After about 3 or 4 years, we took a leap of faith. He started a low level management job with Central Parking System. He actually took a pay cut! We weren't sure we could afford that, but the company would pay his school tuition and for his books---which is exactly why we did it. Turns out, he rose fast within the company and the bonuses came rolling in. Eventually, he became the CEO until his retirement in 2010 at 58. I'm so proud of him. It's been a great ride---all of these---nearly 42 years! I'm glad he took me with him!
The following pictures are what remain on my laptop. I just did a major purge---8000 photos removed. I was a little too lazy to transfer more from my desktop. This was on our 25th anniversary.
 I think he's still pretty cute!
 I don't remember what year this was. Somewhere in our 40's.
This is him with Victoria. He's so good with the grandkids. Actually, he's good to all of us.
 He still has a lot of bendability left in him too! This would totally kill my knees (ooops, I didn't mean
to make it about me).
Here he is with Morgan. I just noticed, he wears a lot of blue shirts. Stands to reason---that's his favorite color.

If there's one wish I could make for him---it would be to slow down and enjoy the fruits of his labor!!! The rest of us certainly are!! And we thank him!

10 comments:

  1. what a lovely post, I hope he has a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really lovely, loving post! I hope he has a great day too. And thanks for giving me a smile about my own life with it too..I'm remembering those days when we had a hole in the roof and we didn't care! Lots of blue shirts in this house too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is certainly handsome! I hope he had a great day! Sounds like you have enjoyed a great life together. I too have shopped with a calculator ... haven't most of us?!?!?!? But it all paid off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you all had a good day. Happy birthday Butch. I still remember you taking me and steph out in what I think was your special car I think we may have even went out on a boat. Great times:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post! He is a keeper for sure. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely post for a lovely man x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post - sounds like y'all have a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post for you lovely man. Happy Birthday Butch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope it was a lovely day - my Dad almost always wears blue shirts too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.