Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bossy and Proud of It!


A few days ago, it was all over the news about trying to ban the word “bossy” as it has a negative connotation when referring to girls. They are saying that girls who stand out to become leaders are disliked by others for being too bossy---which then becomes "bitchy" in the workplace. Hmmm. I don't know about that. 

I'm bossy---no doubt. I was raised that way. I'm the oldest of seven. From as far back as I can remember, my parents told my siblings, "Listen to Barbara, she's the boss." It has worked in my favor many times through the years as they expected me to take charge. I also think I have the best siblings anyway---and not just because they let me boss them. They have no problem putting me in my place. There have been times when I go too far that someone will say, "Everybody, everybody, listen to Barb---she's the boss!" That's all it takes and I'll realize I'm being too bossy. We all laugh---done. Then I'll boss them about something else.

But, really, someone has to be the boss. And by that, I mean someone who will step up and take charge. Someone who will organize things and get things done. I remember back during all of my volunteer endeavors, someone once said that I could take any nasty situation and handle it "nicely." I took that as a compliment. It also meant I got dealt a lot of crap no one else wanted to deal with. Nobody likes confrontation, but sometimes it has to happen. That's okay, somebody has to do it. And if I'm known for doing it "nicely"---I'm really good with that.

Maybe it's a good thing I was a stay-at-home mom for all most of my life. I certainly would not have wanted to be known as a "bitch" in the workplace. 

Yeah, that's it. 

6 comments:

  1. the difference between someone who is bossy and someone who is bitchy is usually dependent on the point of view. The one who calls you bitchy is usually the one who didn't get their own way in something and has resorted to name calling as a way of retaliation. I can be bossy. It's mostly because I am the organiser and have the ability to get people to do things........... it's a skill to be proud of

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you the oldest? I am and I think that's the reason I always get given the bad jobs too - if there is bad news to break in the family, it's left to me to do it. Being the oldest has its good bits, but it isn't always fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also the oldest of seven and often left in charge (but never "the boss"). My Mom would have had no problem putting someone else in charge if they were more likely than me to enforce her rules! As for work, if someone wants to call me a bitch because I know how to get the job done... let them. I really don't care - it's what I get paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a dear friend of mine bought me a pillow years ago that says "I'm not Bossy, I just have better ideas" . . . and I'm sticking with that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Barbara. I'm the oldest of four and can totally related to your take-charge-position. We're all grown up and live far apart now, but when my mom was in the process of "leaving" and we were all together I assumed that role again, just naturally. My daughter commented on it, and mentioned how everyone just seemed to follow my lead without question. It's not always a fun position to be in, but I'd rather be there than one of those being "bossed" around! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post Barbara, I'm the bossy one, the eldest, only girl, who else would get things done? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.