Sunday, March 9, 2014

Treadmill Desk Update

I thought I would let you know how it's been going. Since getting the treadmill desk, I have only missed getting on it 3 times---one of those days being today. My original plan was that I would get on the treadmill a couple times a day and at least 4 or 5 times a week. But due to the sweat factor (see below) I have to have a shower after, so more than once a day is not practical. Since it's been working so well, it makes me feel guilty NOT to get on it with my computer. Unless I have a lot of typing to do, there's no reason for me to be sitting in front of my computer when I can be walking in front of it. That's it---no excuse.

What I've learned:
1. At 3.5 MPH, I get shin splints. Optimal is 2.5 MPH unless I'm watching a video, then I can "up" it to 3 MPH.
2. After 2 hours, the treadmill shuts down. That's never happened before---but then again, I've never been on a treadmill for 2 hours. I've actually only done 2 hours one time.
3. Within 10 minutes, I start to sweat. PROFUSELY!I've always been a sweat-er---not just since I've been chubby. And when I say sweat, I mean sweat. It's pretty gross. I have to be careful to keep it off my computer. Nicky suggested I add a towel to my desk. Of course! Why didn't I think of that. I'm not very coordinated to wipe my brow while walking, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I can only close one eye at a time if I want to stay upright. Then, after a few days, I started to think about how nasty that towel must be. I guess I need to replace it pretty often.
4. At around 55 minutes, my thighs start to chafe---that's why I missed one of my days. I had to give my sore thighs a break.
5. At 65 minutes, my lower back starts to hurt. Still, I try to push through to at least 70 to 90 minutes.
6. I cannot edit photos while walking, but I can upload them.
7. Sometimes I have bad reception. Seems like the only things that load fast are the commercials. If it's too slow, I have to give up. It's more of a waste of time to me to wait around for web pages to load. Seems that the earlier in the morning the better.
8. I still cannot type while walking.
9. Sometimes my hand falls asleep from resting it on the edge of the desk.
10. I can jot down brief notes, but my handwriting is pretty sloppy.

The whole thing has been successful---at least from making me feel like I'm more active now and doing something good for my heart. As for fighting the battle of the bulge---not much results there. Then again, I have to remind myself of what my doctor said---"you can't lose weight while on prednisone."

Hopefully I'll be "off" within a couple of weeks. Then I'll start seeing some results!! In the meantime, I'll just be happy to be beating the entire family in steps each week!!

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the habit and beating 'em all on the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheering you on from the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good on you!! sounds like you have it all worked out x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheering you on from my little corner Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.