Monday, April 7, 2014

It's That Time of the Year...

...for proms. Sandy sent me a couple pictures of Mitchell and his "ask." As she said, now-a-days, getting asked to the prom is darn near like a marriage proposal---with a few exceptions. 

First off, the boy has to put the word out to the girlfriends of the girl he would like to ask so they can find out if he will be accepted. No one wants to be embarrassed or humiliated. Once he has been "approved" it's time to start thinking about "how" he's going to ask her. Once he's decided, he has to run that by the girlfriends too---just to make sure the "ask" will be good enough. Of course, this part is a secret from the date. 

Luckily for Mitchell, he had a really good idea that did not cost a fortune. 
He used paper cups that he wedged in the fence where the girl parks her car at school. Then, he waited for her to arrive---with a bouquet of tulips (pardon the dangling participle---but you know what I mean).
As predicted, she accepted. 

Boys react so differently to important dances than girls. They don't care to get new clothes---although for the prom, he will be renting a tux. Girls have a dress and shoes to buy---not to mention a new purse. Then there's the nails---mani and pedi for sure. Hair and makeup---starting early in the day. We  girls know how long it takes to get gorgeous. But then again, that's half the fun---the preparation and anticipation.

Guys don't have to do all that. Basically, Mitchell hangs out watching some sporting event on tv all afternoon. About a half hour before he's supposed to leave, he gets up and says, "Well, I guess I'll get ready." That's it. Boys are so low maintenance. But we all knew that---right??
*********************************************************************************
Thinking of Mitchell's prom has brought back a lot of memories. I went to my first prom when I was a sophomore. My boyfriend was a junior. My mom took me shopping for the ONE dress and pair of shoes that would see me through my entire high school dance-going career. I was able to get my hair done each time---mine was an "up"-do with little butterflies inserted. We didn't get our nails done---we did our own or each other's back then. 

Here's that dress and me going off to my first prom---I went to four of them---all in the same dress---just different boys.

A few years ago, when we were at our mom's, we discovered all of our prom pictures. We were getting ready to have a family gathering. My sister, Jeanne and I came up with this idea to have a competition---all our family gatherings have some sort of competition. Jeanne mounted all of the pictures on a poster board and placed it on an easel. She thought she was being clever to put the banana stickers on my dress to signify the banana peel that my little brother, Matthew threw at me while we were posing for pictures. He was that type of kid. Anyway, we had different categories and the whole family got a vote. I "won" for best hair! Surprising since that would be the only time in my life I would win a best hair contest. I have crappy hair. Still, it was a fun competition.

Hmmm, how did a post about Mitchell turn in to a post about me? Oh yeah, that's right, it's always about me!!


5 comments:

  1. That's one thing I always wished we had here , when I left school. The lads sure do have to make an effort. Lovely to see your photos too ... You look gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what a lovely post! What girl wouldn't have said yes to such a cute "ask" . I love those photos of you. We didn't have "proms" here, though our final year at school we had what we called a "formal". It's still called that now, though it has grown into something bigger and closer to the whole prom experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how times change. My daughters wouldn't be caught dead in the same prom gown twice. Becca went to FOUR proms - her boyfriend was a year ahead of her at a different school. She went to his Junior and Senior proms and her Junior and Senior proms. Four different dresses I had to buy. She did wear the same shoes at least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute prom proposal - interesting it has to be so complicated. I missed the prom - having heard so much about it from babysitters and then moving here where it didn't exist. I like your hair - with ringlets too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look just beautiful - and so elegant :). Glad the generations are carrying on the tradition - though, as Sian says, we called them 'formals' (short for formal dances) here until the recent Americanisation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.