Sunday, April 13, 2014

Living Life on a Time-line

That's how I get everything done. I'm busy---just like everyone else. I have a pretty healthy social like and I want to do everything. In order to do that, I have to plan ahead.

I start every week by checking my schedule on Sunday night. I make a list of everything I need to accomplish during the week. Then I start plugging things in. I try to keep all errands on the same day---usually working them in around social engagements.

I'm going to be gone pretty much over the next two weeks. I started planning for that last week. On Sunday night, I planned my week. It looked something like this: Monday---which is "Movie Monday" when I meet my friends for lunch and a movie---I had several errands I wanted to do before. I knew I needed to be at Panera Bread at 11:15 a.m., so I started backing up my time from there. I needed to go to Michaels and Target. I planned 45 minutes for each place with 15 minutes of travel time. That meant I needed to leave the house by 9:15. Which meant I needed to get in the shower no later than 8:30---which meant I needed to have my hour on the treadmill and breakfast prior to that. Since I get up around 5:30 or 6:00, I had plenty of time to do a couple of household chores.

Still, living on a time-line you have to be flexible. When I was just about ready to leave on Monday, I found that my cleaning lady had brought her sick 8 year old with her. I settled him on the couch and started to figure out the kids channels---which I know nothing about. I made Kevin a snack and was ready to head out---15 minutes late. Right off, I knew that my schedule was "blown." I proceeded on and only went to Target before meeting my friends. I had a little extra time before lunch, so I parked at the theater and walked to Panera---just to get in those extra steps. I don't like to waste time either. (Side note: when I got my very first report card in the first grade, I got an "E"xcellent for uses time well. I had no idea what that meant then, but now I do. And I do use my time well).
I decided to add a little first grade "me" to break up some of this text.

On with the story.
After the movie, the plan was to go to the grocery store, then sit and read in my car while I waited for Connie to meet me for our monthly pedicure when she gets off work. I went to the grocery store---planning ahead, I had the cooler with me. After the groceries, instead of reading, I ran to Michaels. I still made it back right in time for my pedicure. That put me back on track with my schedule.

The rest of the week proceeded as normal. I made my freezer meal for "freezer club"** that meets in two weeks. I'll just be getting back from the beach and will only have one day at that time. I pretty much always do things way ahead because I just never know what might come up at the last minute.

Friday was my friend, Nancy's, birthday. I bought her gift a while back, but couldn't begin to find it in my gift closet. I put that on the schedule for the weekend. I cleaned it out and organized it today.
Sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't really see the mess in the closet. The stuff on the floor is sorted and ready to be put back. Whenever I'm out and about and see something that would be perfect for a friend or family member, I pick it up. I just kept cramming things in without rhyme or reason. That's why I knew I had Nancy's present in there. While I was at it, I found Morgan's birthday present. It's not until May 10th, but while I was wrapping, I figured, why not? I'll see Nancy this week at the farm.
This is the finished closet. Each shelf represents different groupings of gifts. The top shells is all friends gifts. The bottom bags are Christmas things---hostess gifts, table favors and game prizes.

After cleaning out the closet, I got myself all packed for the farm. That means that tomorrow (Sunday) I get to spend the day outside reading! I plan to finish my book so I can start a new one this week. I'm planning to start the Divergent series. Anyone read that yet? Connie read them. Stephanie is on book two. They both really like them.

Anyway, that's why living on a time-line really works for me. I like the sense of accomplishment and feeling on top of things. In fact, since I will not have internet access while at the farm, I have pre-planned a few blog posts this week. I hope you have a good and productive week yourself!

**Here's the freezer recipe I promised---it's really good, low calorie and easy:
Hearty Beef  Stew
1 lb. beef stew cubes
4 carrots cut in chunks, peeled
4 red potatoes cut in chunks, unpeeled
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
2 cans 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
1-10 oz. frozen green peas

Place all ingredients in a gallon size freezer bag and mix it all up. I put everything in a crockpot liner first and then put it in the freezer bag. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cook on low in the crock pot for 7-10 hours. Don't worry, it might still be frozen, but will cook up just fine.

If you decide to try it, let me know how you like it.


5 comments:

  1. I read the Divergent series recently (in fact, picked up the first book at the airport on the way home from Nashville!). Really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm..I'm sure the mushroom soup is a tasty flavour with the beef. I might have to try that :)

    Have a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - I like living on a timeline, knowing what will be happening and getting as much done as I want. Wookie & co had beef stew while I was away - made enough Sat that they could finish it today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to know what i'm doing too! we have no cupboards in this house (apart from wardrobes) so i am in awe of your present closet x have a lovely time away x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to work on a timeline, too, and run my errands all on the same day each week. Have fun at the farm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.