Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I have a couple of things that I came across recently that are perfect for Throwback Thursday.
Coloring Easter eggs. This is Sandy circa 1976?? I'm not exactly sure, but she looks about 4 to me. She was (and still is) the sweetest child!! She was so easy and well-behaved. And as her sisters say, "the perfect one." That about covers it! I love you girlie!!

This is a little plastic folder that all "good" little Catholic girls carried in their purses. You can tell it's old by the phone number---SH-1-5015. Way back when I was little---1950's and 1960's, there was a phone prefix. In this case, it stood for Sherwood. Also, the little "obsessive" me had to write "telephone no." as if people wouldn't know what that was!

Now, believe it or not, this is the one I still carry in my purse today:
That's St. Christopher. But there was some question as to whether he was demoted as a saint. I looked it up and he is still a saint, but due to the number of saints, he has been removed from the liturgical calendar. He remains the patron saint of travelers (just in case you wanted to know).

The main message and the reason to carry these little things is that if I should ever be in an accident, a priest would be summoned. Realistically, there are several reasons that this really won't work.
#1. I seriously doubt someone is going to rifle through my purse to find it. If they need to identify me, they'll look at my driver's license---done. There's no reason to go any further with a search.
#2. Even if they might happen upon this and see the "I am a Catholic, in case of an accident, please call a priest"---what priest could get to an accident scene faster than an ambulance? It'll never happen.

I guess I just need to rely on St. Christopher to take care of me.

5 comments:

  1. Funny how logic never quite covers all the bases - it clearly means a lot to you. And the shot of colouring eggs takes me right back ... Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember colouring eggs like that with bowls of liquid. I like the St Christopher medals - someone might find it and at least most hospitals have visiting priests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this brings back a few memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just the kind of "saved" things I love to look at. Funny, I was just thinking yesterday how I wish I had photos of some of the eggs we got as children. You know how the styles change? So I took a photo in a shop of this year's selection

    ReplyDelete
  5. colouring eggs is something that i've never done! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.