Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Steeplechase

I've written posts on the Steeplechase before. It is a major social event for Nashville and a major fund raiser for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. We've had our box for over 25 years now. Butch loves it. The girls love it. I used to. Now, it's just a really long day in the hot sun. Or rain.

This year, since my friends and I were headed to the beach, that allowed Butch to take the guys left behind AND Stephanie, Nicky, Mindy and Justin. Morgan used one of our wrist bands to gain entrance, but she hung out with her own friends. We get 8 wrist bands for our rather large "donation" to the event.

The planning starts about a month ahead---what to wear, what to drink, what to eat. But, by far, the most important parts of Steeplechase are the hats. To me, the racing is fun, the light betting is fun, seeing people you only see once a year is fun and hanging with friends is fun. But the most fun of all is people watching and seeing all the hats. Even the guys wear hats. It all began as a necessity to protect yourself from the sun. Hat-wearing has grown to become the most important part of the day. Now, the hats are worn to make a statement. If you're lucky, you get photographed for the newspaper.

Years ago, before we had a box, we were in the "infield." We were photographed and in the paper for our fabulous food set-up complete with floral arrangement. I'm telling you, this is a fancy affair. I'm happy that the girls enjoy it so much. I'm ready to pass the torch. Now if I could only convince Butch...
 Hugh, Bruce and Butch. We've taken many friends over the years. We've even had family from St. Louis come in town for the event.
I need to ask them why they traded hats. I'm not even sure which one is really Butch's.
Stephanie and Mindy had their headpieces made to match their dresses. Or, they make their own with a little help from me. Okay, a lot of help from me. Okay, they don't help at all. It's all me.
(Side note: I bought this cute little number while shopping with Sandy at the Disney store in Destin:
It's the cutest Tinkerbell hat. Mindy has been fascinated with Tinkerbell since she was little. I just couldn't pass it up.
It has wings on the back! I texted Mindy a picture of it, but then bought it before she responded. When she answered, she said, "I want it!" I know my girls. Unfortunately, it didn't make the Steeplechase "cut" this year.)
Justin and Nicky. This was Justin's first Steeplechase. I'm sure that Mindy told him that yellow pants are appropriate (and pink, baby blue and mint green---seersucker---no question).
Butch tells me that Mindy was quite offended when Justin's Boston Red Sox hat drew more attention than her elaborate headpiece. Justin is from Boston. I'm not quite sure how long he's been in Nashville.

Did I mention that beverages are a huge part of the day? You name it, we have it!

If you are familiar with the clothing line---Vineyard Vines---Steeplechase could be one huge advertising campaign for them.
Oh, that's right, this is what the day is supposed to be about!! Our box is on the finish line---perfect location.

Butch, Hugh and Bruce arrived at the beach last night and told us all about their escapades at Steeplechase. They all had a great time and are already making plans for next year. And so it begins...maybe I'll be at the beach again.

2 comments:

  1. Fun - I like that Tinkerbell hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Red Sox baseball cap. I fell in love with baseball when it first started to be shown on TV over here and the very first time I saw a game from Fenway Park I decided that this was the team to get my vote - I don't know why, but if I am ever going to watch baseball on TV the it will be the RedSox. I will confess now that I also have a jacket that I bought in the PX in Germany 22 years ago when my son was with the British Army on the Rhine and could go to the PX because the US army allowed the Brits to shop there. Technically it was going to the USA because we had to have our passports to get in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.