Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Weekend

On Friday, I had planned to take my friends to a barn sale in Hartsville, Tennessee---about and hour from here. I was happy that Janet was going to be with us. The weather was gorgeous---a great day for a barn sale.



 Janet and I managed to find several fun things. I found an old colander, some vintage trims, an old porcelain door knob made in to a picture holder and a little vase full of button flowers. Janet got an old Candyland game board, some scrabble tiles and a head band for Evie (that Evie refuses to wear).
Nancy and Susan were with us. We had lunch there before making the trip home.

The kick-off to our weekend always begins with happy hour.
 My brother, Ronnie---unfortunately, there is so much light in the sun room, that it's hard to get a good picture.
 Mindy, Stephanie and Nicky.
Greg, Evie and Jackie. Now about Evie.
She is so darn cute---she'll be 2 in two weeks. You know what that means---those "terrible twos!" She wears everyone out---constantly moving. I had the idea of putting my fitbit on her to see how many steps she takes in a day.
She has some obsessive tendencies---here is just a little evidence. She lined up all of the Care Bears face down because she said they were sleeping. When she wasn't looking, I turned the one in the middle around so it's head was by the other's feet. She looked at it for a second, realizing something wasn't right. Then she fixed it. She loves to help clean too. That might be nice to have around---but it does slow you down.

Evie loves to eat. Jackie makes her food and tries to keep it organic. She had made her some pancakes. I offered a little butter and syrup but she declined. I felt sorry that Evie had to eat a dry old pancake. I felt even sorrier for her when I found out they were made with spinach, carrots, apples, oats, honey, cocoa powder and a few chocolate chips. The poor little thing just scarfed them down. I told Jackie that if she wasn't there, I'd probably give her a little baggie with miniature marshmallows---no nutritional value whatsoever!! Jackie said that she gets "junk food" at daycare but at home it's all healthy. She doesn't get any juice either---just water or milk. Actually, I admire Jackie for taking the time to make her food and sticking to her guns. I know it's got to be hard. But, Evie is no dummy! Her favorite store is Costco. Her grandparents take her and let her sample all the food throughout the store. Jackie said that when they pull in to the grocery store parking lot, she starts whining for Costco.  I'd say, Jackie may be fighting a losing battle!

I made a big breakfast on Saturday morning before they left to head home to St. Louis. I went out to buy flowers to finish up the planting. After that,  I did a few household chores and spent some time reading on the front porch swing.

Today, I'll be going to see Les Miserables at the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall. I'm really excited about that---it's my favorite.

Mitchell had his prom last night, so I'll be reporting on that next.

PS I posted Karolyn and Pam's layouts on the AYM blog.

4 comments:

  1. That barn sale looks like so much fun! (An outdoor version of the Good Will store... ;-) Kudos to Jackie for feeding Evie such healthy food. She is setting her daughter up to 1) love good food and 2) avoid a LOT of the modern illnesses that are directly tied to the all the crap we Americans love to eat. Wish I had known better and done the same when mine were little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - we don't have sales like that round here! That top picture is so evocative - it looks like something from the pages of Country Living Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were at the Barn Sale on Friday. Wish I had know you were there. Did you have a Fried Green Tomato Sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh i wouldn't mind a look around that Barn sale! the terrible two's are hard work x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.