Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I'm going on a trip and in my suitcase I'm packing...."

everything but the kitchen sink! Remember that old childhood game? Each person has to say everything that is in the suitcase and add one more thing. Well, I don't believe I can add one more thing! We're taking two huge SUV's and are concerned that we can't get it all in. Here's why:

1. I grocery shopped 3 times---in order to get all the food we need for 12 people for a week. Plus we will be eating out some. There's nothing I hate more than going on vacation and having to go grocery shopping right away---not to mention the added expense of high prices in vacation areas. Then this morning I realized I forgot the 4 lbs. of ground chuck for the tacos. Bummer.

2. We need to take 4 coolers for all the freezer and refrigerator stuff. I think we might get by without chilling all of the produce. We'll see.

3. We have two sets of golf clubs. Considering it's supposed to rain most of the week, we could probably leave those behind.

4.The girls do not know how to pack "light." They always show up with huge suitcases. As for packing, that would be 4 big ones and 2 little  ones---Nicky had a big one last year, but he took so much teasing, that I think he may have learned his lesson. Add one more small suitcase.

5. I made cookies yesterday so that's another big container.

6. I've taking an assortment of baking pans, extra paper towels, foils and wraps, plastic containers, a gigantic amount of paper plates and napkins.

7. We've packed a variety of games and cards to make sure we'll be amused if it does rain all week. Steph asked last night at happy hour if I was bringing the poker money. Uhhh, NO---12 containers of each family member's poker money is not only heavy, it's bulky too.
8. Due to the possible weather situation, we girls are bringing our stitching. Add 4 more stitching bags---and maybe a 5th for Elizabeth.

9. As far as electronics go, I figure there will be 6 computers, 1 iPad, 1 mini iPad, 8 Kindles, 11 phones and an iPod speaker.

10. I cannot even begin to count the number of magazines.

11. Add a dozen swimsuits and towels.

12. We have a bag full of "cooler cups."
13. We have to bring bug spray and insect repellant---just in case we get to go out.

14. Birthday presents for Victoria---and they are big.

15. And last, but certainly not least---this big 'ol honkin' drink machine that Butch got for Father's Day---and the 200 bottles of alcohol and drink stuff to go with it.
Butch is the MASTER PACKER! I have no doubt he'll get it all in. I'll have to post those pictures later.

All in all, it looks like the making of a fun vacation!

I'm ready. It's 6:45 a.m. and I'm sitting here writing this post. Butch says, "okay, we need to start getting this stuff together"---meaning he wants to start loading the car. We're not leaving until 9 a.m. What's the rush! Maybe it's going to take that long to figure out how to make it all fit!

I'll see you in the "smokies." If it's raining, I'll be posting more!

4 comments:

  1. Er, wow...just wow! But it certainly looks like you have everything there for a good time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm echoing Sian...i can't imagine that there's anything else you need. How many bottles of alcohol.. 200...you have a great time :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my family packing for a week at the Jersey Shore. Subtract the golf clubs and alcohol-related stuff. Add a sand buggy, 3 beach umbrellas, 5 beach chairs, a stack of trashy novels, and some scrapbooking supplies. But it would be ME figuring out the dimensional puzzle of how best to fit it all into a minivan and a CRV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - we're definitely not light packers either - we have an SUV just for the two of us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.