Friday, June 6, 2014

What's Happenin'?

Outside my window: The hydrangeas have just burst forth and are gorgeous. I'll get a shot to share soon. 

 I am thinking: That I have to get up at 4 a.m. to get ready before heading to the airport. I'm going to South Bend to meet up with my family to celebrate my niece, Devon's high school graduation. 
It's been quite a while since we've all been together. I picked this photo for "throwback Thursday." This is about 2000. We are the "original seven." There are 42 of us all together with another on the way.

I am thankful for: Jeff, our plumber these past 20 years. Whenever I call, he comes right out. He told me that he would always bump me to the top of the list because I've referred him to so many people! I have a lot of really good people that take care of this house.

From the kitchen: I've cooked quite a bit this week. On Monday, I made mussels with pasta. Tuesday I fried pork chops and potatoes. I haven't made that in probably 5 years or more. I just don't fry things. I've had a craving, so I did and it was worth it---so good. On Wednesday, I made red beans and rice with andouille sausage and corn bread. Mindy couldn't resist, so she came for dinner. She took ALL the leftovers including the pork chop, potatoes and asparagus from Tuesday night. Tonight we had dinner---courtesy of Janet---Imo's pizza! She brought us several when they visited a few weeks ago. 
There's nothing like St. Louis pizza. Crust thinner than the cardboard box! Authentic Italian sausage and the---oh so creamy---provel cheese---only found in St. Louis. Such a nice treat!

I am wearing: my jammies---it's nearly bed time!

I am hoping: To keep my "carry on" light so I can save $50.00 by not checking my bag tomorrow.

I am reading: Isaac's Storm by Eric Larson. This is our family book club book. Stephanie is over half way and says it's great. I'm about 22% in and I'm struggling. I think it's a little too scientific for me. It's about the hurricane in Galveston, TX in 1900 where 6000 died. I'll let you know my final opinion when I finish. I did finish The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, over the weekend. It was really good---great beach read. 

I'm watching: There's not much on television these days. You already know about the trashy reality shows that I am currently watching. Aside from that, I have a dvd series that I started---Wives and Daughters. It's an old English drama. I've watched the first two episodes. Loving it so far. I particularly love period pieces.

I am busy creating: I got my Project Life album caught up this week. I also started working on the cork project I have planned for my family and friends in July. As usual, I thought it would be much simpler. Now I have to figure out how to make it easier, or do a lot of the pre-work myself. 

I'm bummed: That I haven't been on my treadmill desk in a couple of weeks. I had to let my toe heal. I'll get back to it this week. I must have 75 things to watch/read on my reading list! 

I am hearing: A nature show on PBS.

In other news: On "Movie Monday" this week, we saw  Maleficent in 3D. It was AWESOME!! I'm not a huge Angelina fan, but she was really good. 

Also, last night, we saw Warhorse the musical on stage. It was FABULOUS!!! Even though the horses weren't real, you had to keep reminding yourself of that. They didn't even look real, but the movements were so incredible that they actually seemed to be real. The company got a standing ovation right off. But I've never seen "fake" animals get the loudest cheers. They were that good. Run, don't walk---to see it if you get the chance! Next to Les Miserables, this was the best thing we've seen all year.

Before the theater, Connie, Nancy and I went to Monell's for dinner.
It's an old house in Germantown. The food is served "family style." Good ol' country cooking---so good. The corn pudding is the best---and the macaroni and cheese, green beans, fried chicken---heck, it's ALL good. The cornbread dressing had too much sage---but that was the only thing we didn't care for. And cheap. All you can eat for $14.65. We need to think of Monell's more often.

One of my favorite things right now: I'm happy to report that I finished the top of my needlepoint star tree topper. I'm still working on the gusset. I'm pretty bored with it, so I'll keep plugging away to finish it up---hopefully by the end of summer. 

I appreciate: Next day and free shipping from the office supply stores. I like ordering online from the convenience of home and having it delivered to my front door the very next day.

I regret: that all of my friends are on different vacation schedules. Makes it hard to plan things.

How the weekend is shaping up: Butch was supposed to be at a bass tournament with his brother. His brother had to cancel, so Butch will be home alone. The girls will come for happy hour and he'll play golf on Saturday with a friend. I get home on Sunday morning. He's fine without me! I'm not sure that's a good thing!

I hope you all have a good weekend too!


1 comment:

  1. Oh I really enjoyed Isaac's Storm! Of course, I already knew a good bit about the history of the Galveston hurricane & have seen a documentary (in Galveston) with readings of some of the papers & notes from that time period. Eric Larson also wrote Devil in the White City, which is about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 & a serial killer in the city at that same time - it's a fascinating read, but also somewhat technical & with difficult chapters about the serial killer. I learned a ton about the Chicago World's Fair from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.