Friday, October 10, 2014

An "Old" Friend

I say "old" because it's true both ways---a friend from waaayyy back and because she's older than me. I tease her about that all the time. She's a good sport. Seriously, she can run circles around me!

Nancy is the first person I met when we moved to Nashville nearly 30 years ago. We lived in the same neighborhood and were friends as couples too. She went back to work as a teacher and I saw her at school all the time. But we didn't really do much together outside of couples things. That has all changed since she retired. She is up for anything. Whenever I call, she's willing. We have already had many adventures over the past couple of years. This is just our latest.

This week, she asked me to take her to Sam's so she could buy her bike.
After we picked it up, I suggested she give it a try on the "greenway" since I had planned to do some walking there. I figured, if she had a problem, it would be good to have someone close by for the first time. We pumped up her tires and took off.
She did fine without me. I told her the plan would be to ride for a half hour as I walked. After 30 minutes, we would both turn around. It worked out perfectly. We both got back to the car about the same time. She passed me right at the end, but by the time she went the pathway and I cut across the grass, we finished together.

She said she felt like a kid again. Good! I'll stop calling her my "old" friend. Now I just have to work up the courage to get back on my bike! Last time I fell twice, but both times in the ground cover, so it cushioned my fall. I'm going to practice a little this weekend. It's not the riding that's the problem, it's the turning around. Actually, I need a larger area to turn around in.  Maybe I'll be ready for the "greenway" next week!

2 comments:

  1. If anything could persuade me to start cycling, it would be a bike in that colour. Isn't it beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get on the bike again - it's so much FUN! My bike is gathering dust since we haven't had any visits from the kids this year, but I just need to get out & ride now that the weather is nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.