Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Few Things

I was at St. Cecilia Academy last week for the "Rosary Project"---an organization that Butch and I belong to---present each graduating senior with a rosary from the Holy Land. I had to take a minute and snap this shot of the courtyard.  I designed and planted the garden here, along with a team of volunteers---nearly 15 years ago. When the annabelle hydrangeas bloom, it will be spectacular!
A lot of things happen when you haven't been out of the house in 2 months. Like this brand new shopping center!! I guess I didn't notice it was being built. My first trip out---and it's fully finished! I have no idea what all's in there. I'll have to check it out soon.
Someone blocked me again!! I purposely chose the very last parking spot---and hobbled with my boot to where I needed to be. When I came out, I couldn't believe my eyes. This person surely did it on purpose---and just slid across their bench seat---even they could not have gotten out. I felt sorry for the skinniest of my friends---Nancy A. She had to smush herself to move MY car!! One more year and this car is gone!!
When we got our telephone book, my immediate thought was---"this isn't going to help any child reach the table!" Remember sitting kids atop 2 phone books? The new ones aren't much bigger than a dvd and only about 3/4" thick. What a waste of trees! Doesn't everyone just use the internet to look up phone numbers these days?
I had the most interesting of lunches at bridge the other day. I thought of Connie---nothing she would  ever have ordered. Cauliflower puree topped with roasted Brussel sprouts, ham, gruyere cheese and a poached egg on top. The dish had me at the egg! It was fabulous! I'm getting again this week---only I'm sharing it with a friend. We're ordering an extra egg.
As my major clean out continues, I came in to my scrapbook room to find this. You just never really know what those toys are doing when you're not looking!
Another load on the way out. The place I donate to loves that all of the things I bring to them are neatly organized. If I haven't used it in 5 years, it's gone. Lots of class supplies. So sad. I miss doing classes. I'm starting on the closet today and am really looking forward to it. I love cleaning out. I've already offered to help friends when I'm finished with mine---just their regular closets. I really do love this kind of work. (Okay, Chrissy, I can hear you from here!)
My brother, Ronnie and his family are passing through on their way home from the beach. I made this fruit trifle for dessert. We put some of Butch's famous burgers on the grill. We had baked beans and oven roasted potatoes---also so easy. Just quarter your potatoes (no peeling necessary), sprinkle with a package of dried Italian salad dressing mix and toss with a little olive oil. Bake at 350 for about an hour.
I actually have one of those pedestal type trifle bowls where you can see the layers---but it's too tall to fit in my refrigerator.

Fruit Trifle
1 Sara Lee pound cake
1 lg. vanilla instant pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
strawberries
blueberries
Cool Whip

Mix up pudding with milk and sour cream. Layer cake, pudding, fruit---twice. Top with Cool Whip. It's quick and easy---a light dessert that is always a hit.

Okeedokee, then. I'm back to work in my scrapbook room. I can't think of a better way to spend National Scrapbook Day! Can you?


post signature

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely group of a few things! It's so great that you get to visit the garden you designed all those years ago. Great job on the clean out project! That dessert looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara, what a lovely mixed post this is. The trifle looks good :) I'm with you on the waste of paper with the phone books. I'm laughing (in a loving way) at the car parking. We were parked up on top of the moors in one of those large open horseshoe shaped spaces. There were three cars parked, one facing the front, one the left and we were on the right. Where do you think the fourth car parked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely catch-up post. I hope you'll share another picture when the flowers are in bloom. Now I'm off to translate the Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trifle looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.