Sunday, October 11, 2015

Upon doing too much...

...too soon. I paid for it dearly!

Butch is in Charlotte this weekend for Jeff Gordon's final hometown NASCAR race. Jeff's been his favorite from the start. I gave him those tickets for Father's Day---to go with Greg and Mitchell. Well, you know what they say about the cat being away. Had he been here, he would have kept me on the straight and narrow.

I'm not a sit around kine of person. I have a lot of energy and squeeze a lot of stuff in to my days. But I need to remind myself---I am not as far along in my recovery as I was the last time I got the boot. I had the heavy cast for 4 weeks prior to the boot. Instead, I took the boot as a license to just resume my normal life.

I was up and on it too much yesterday. I spent about 2 hours in my scrapbook room and was up and down the stairs a few times. I did some laundry, I unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned out the refrigerator and pantry. By 9 a.m., I was paying for it. NINE a.m. you say? Well, I'd been up since 3 a.m. so I was heading towards the middle of my day by 9. I had swelling and pain. Not terrible, "I think I've done some damage" kind of pain, but aching pain and discomfort. I had a fleeting thought about doing damage, but I have a steel plate and 6 screws, so I don't think I can do any damage to it.

I did not take any pain medication---I was done with that after three days and was not going back. I could have taken some ibuprofen which would have helped. Believe me, I'm not a martyr. Had I been in excruciating pain, I would have. I decided that I wanted to suffer the pain and discomfort as a punishment and reminder. I spent the rest of the day resting with my leg up. That took care of it. By bedtime, I was feeling fine again. I had the best night's sleep in two weeks!

I need to really take it easy because if the Cardinals make it to the World Series, I'm going to the ballgame on October 30th!! Or at least I want to. It's on my bucket list---"attend a Cardinal World Series game." My sister, Janice (in Texas) and I made a pact the last time that we'd go together as we were texting each other in the middle of the night during the last series game that went extended innings until 1 a.m. The tickets are expensive and only will get more so. I'll need to make a decision in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, here's where you'll find me...

2 comments:

  1. Yes, take it easy! Your body likes to rest because of the trauma it has been through. Even if you aren't in too much pain, you have had bits added to your body and it does need time to adjust

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that's a hard bit of learning to give yourself! I think I'd have reached for the ibuprofen, myself. Glad that it is healing and hoping you can pace yourself to maximum effect - not always easy when we have lots of energy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.