Monday, October 19, 2015

What's Happenin'!

Outside my window: Well, summer is officially over. Butch spent the better part of two days cleaning and putting away the pool floats and furniture cushions. We still need to do the front porch---and bring in the plants. A frost is predicted for this weekend.


I am thinking: That it's really sort of fun to be laid up. You get to do anything you want without feeling lazy. Except I still feel lazy.

I am thankful for: My doctor that put me straight in the boot this time rather than the heavy, cumbersome, uncomfortable cast.

From the kitchen: Stephanie, Nicky and Jordan stayed for dinner after happy hour Friday night. We put Nicky in charge of grilling the steaks---absolutely cooked to perfection for each person!! On the other hand, Steph---who admittedly struggles in the kitchen---botched the bread. When you assign her a task, you really have to go through the process step-by-step. You cannot take anything for granted. I handed her the bread and told her to put foil on the toaster oven pan. The assumption I made was that she would know to butter it---maybe add a little garlic powder or other seasoning. Here's what we ended up dealing with:
Basically, it was cold, dry toast. What a waste of my good Italian bread from St. Louis. Thank goodness she is successful in her career because a cook she ain't! However, she is a good sport about it.

I am wearing: nothing yet---still in my jammies, but I'm fixin' to get dressed!

I am reading: I just finished my first book club book: Inside the O'Brien's by the author who wrote Still Alice.  This book is about a family dealing with Huntington's disease. I didn't really know anything about it---I'm not sure I've ever even heard of it. Loved it but was disappointed in the ending. I really can't say more because several of my book club members read my blog and I don't want to give anything away. I just started our second book All We Had. So far, it's entertaining, but I'm not that far in to it.

I'm watching: I'm going to change this to what I'm NOT watching. Up until now, I've seen every season of American Horror Story. It's always been a pretty creepy show. But this year, I watched the first episode and pretty much figured I would not be able to watch it. I decided to give the second episode a chance to see. I only made it about half way through. Believe me, I'm no prude, but this season is just plain sick and depraved. I'm anxious to see what Stephanie and Mindy think. Lady Gaga is in it this year. I know she's a little weird, but I can't believe that even she would want to do what she's doing in the show. In the larger scope of things, it bothers me that something like this is found to be acceptable. We are becoming way too de-sensitived.

I am busy creating: I have been a needlepointing fool. Again, all of this spare time in front of the television---at least I'll have something fun to show for it. Currently, I'm working on all Halloween projects. I'll be sharing soon.

I'm bummed: That the Cardinals did not make it to the World Series this year. I do not follow baseball at all until the Cards make it to the playoffs. I guess, in a way, I should be thankful. My sister, Janice and I made a pact the last time that we would go to a series game together. It's on my bucket list. When she told me that BLEACHER seats start at $600, I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure my back could handle bleachers for 3 hours. Still, I will definitely go at my next opportunity.

I am hearing: The fall clean-up taking place out in the garden today. Leaf blowers and trimmers buzzing---making way for the winter pansies.

I appreciate: Sandy's "recuperation" package. She sent me a pumpkin cupcake candle (divine), some Boom-chicka-pop popcorn, caramel apple suckers, Russell Stover mini chocolate pumpkins, and some Halloween plates and napkins. She's always so thoughtful! That's why she's our favorite daughter! Yep, it's in writing!

I regret: Not being able to got to Christmas Village this year. Even though I'm officially "over it"---the girls are just starting. We usually go with the Potters and have the best time. Last year was a little weird---I think because there were just too many people besides us. Everyone ended up going their separate ways. We didn't even have dinner together. Next year, we'll do it again for sure. 

Around the house: I admitted to making a mistake. I HATE my new kitchen table and chairs. It's the sort of thing you don't realize until after you've made the purchase. Although the set is the same size as the previous one, the chairs do not fit quite right under the table. Thus, they stick out too far, making it awkward to get in and out of the back door. Butch agreed---begrudgingly, I might add---to allow me to purchase a new set. My plan is to put this one in the attic and save it for the next family member who needs it. A bit of an expensive mistake for sure. The new table is 4" smaller, so I'm expecting it to be the perfect size.

I’m craving: Salads. I love a good salad with lots of stuff in it. The one I made last night was really good---avocadoes, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, sunflower seeds, and croutons. I've taken Sandy's lead and only use Romaine lettuce now. It holds up so much better if you have leftovers. If you are looking for some new salad dressings to try, The Simply Dressed ones found in
the produce department are fabulous. So far, I've tried the Caeser, Avocado Ranch and the Balsamic. Really good.

I’m feeling: On top of the wedding plans. About a month ago, I made a timeline---I work best with a timeline. It keeps me organized and assured that nothing will fall through the cracks. Of course, Mindy and Justin are making all of the decisions, but she wants me to do all the research and work. I'm good with that. I created a task list for each of us. Each week, I send them their assignments. This week, I've been working on figuring out buses or shuttle service to get people from the hotels to the wedding, then to the reception and back to the hotels. It's complicated when you have no idea how many people are going to be in town yet. Originally, Mindy wanted everyone to stay downtown---where all the wedding festivities will be taking place. But when we found out that the Hampton Inn was charging $465. a night, we freaked out! Nashville officially has New York prices now. Anyway, people will have to stay further out for better rates. Thus, buses have become a necessity.

I’m organizing: I'm always re-organizing something. Prior to surgery, I was working on photos again. Periodically, I sort through and realistically assess my pictures. I finished that up this morning. I think it's safe to say that I still have enough photos to scrapbook for the next 10 years! 

I'm obsessing: Over my computer problems. The guy last week has my computer all messed up. I cannot send emails. That's just one of the many problems I'm having right now. I have a new guy coming tomorrow. I just hope he can get me fixed up. I feel out of sorts when my computer is acting up. 

I’m looking forward to: Our stitching class on Tuesday. I've really accomplished a lot and can't wait for the next assignment. I really enjoy doing seasonal things during the season. 

I hope y'all have a great week!!



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are plenty busy despite being slightly immobile - no need to feel lazy from what I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great catch-up today! We're still having great weather here, although I did get to "enjoy" some cold sunny days on our recent trip to Ohio/Pennsylvania. I was bummed that the Rangers didn't make it either - we only watch baseball when they get to the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cheri...you don't at all sound as if you're being lazy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it sounds to me as if you can accomplish quite a lot from just the one spot.

    Funny, J asked me last night if I thought American Horror Story would be any good. I haven't seen any of it but we were both intrigued by the addition of Lady Gaga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely catch-up post. I'm bummed about the Cardinals too. We've gotten to a couple of World Series games, courtesy of my hubby's company. Now that he's retired, I'm not sure we will get another chance - I had no idea about the prices. I hope your computer problems get resolved - I know that out of sorts feeling all too well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.